Olympics: Mexico’s Sánchez, García dive to silver

first_img LONDON – A tough slate of dives paid off with a historic reward for Mexico’s Germán Sánchez and Iván García. The natives of Jalisco won their country’s first Olympic medal in synchronized diving on July 30 in the 10-meter competition, which also was Mexico’s first medal of the London Games. “We are still in awe about what just happened,” Sánchez told reporters after the competition. Sánchez, 20, and García, 18, fell behind early but surged back into medal contention with a pack of exceptional dives. After two dives, they were surprisingly in last place before they moved up to fifth after their third attempt. The Mexicans, who train in Guadalajara, had the highest degree of difficulty in the competition, which played the biggest role in their charge to silver with 468.9 points. China won the gold medal with 486.78. Nick McCrory and David Boudia of the United States took the bronze with 463.47. Sánchez and García also posted the competition’s highest score of 95.95 points in the fourth round after nailing an inward 4 1/2 somersault tuck with a 4.1 degree of difficulty. It was the highlight dive of the meet, as well as a bold selection that offered a maximum opportunity for scoring. Observers questioned the inclusion of that dive in recent weeks, but it stayed in the routine. “We tried it so many times in the last few days and we were not doing it right, but it’s a dive that we have been doing for so long that we did not want to take it out,” Sánchez told reporters. “Everybody said that it was foolish to have a dive with such a big degree of difficulty, but here’s the result. Those critics made us better.” Former Olympic diving medalists Jesús Mena and Fernando Platas spoke with Sánchez and García a day earlier, providing them with extra confidence and motivation. Sánchez and García won gold at last year’s Pan American Games. “They told us that we needed to keep it cool out there because that’s the only way to win a medal,” Sánchez told reporters. “We even modified the diving list at their request and it totally worked.” By Dialogo July 31, 2012last_img read more

Castle Bruce Secondary School wins Tourism Youth Congress

first_imgEducationLocalNewsSecondary Castle Bruce Secondary School wins Tourism Youth Congress by: – May 3, 2012 350 Views   3 comments Tweet Nyanna George; 2012 Tourism Youth Congress winnerRoseau, Dominica – (May 3, 2012) – Nyana George of the Castle Bruce Secondary School is the winner of Discover Dominica Authority’s Tourism Youth Congress. The Youth Congress took place at the Arawak House of Culture on Thursday May 3rd, 2012. George competed against students from the Pierre Charles Secondary School, Portsmouth Secondary School, North East Comprehensive School, Convent High School, Dominica Grammar School, Dominica Community High School, Wesley High School, Orion Academy and the Saint Mary’s Academy. In Round 1 of the competition, all students spoke for three minutes each on the topic What is the impact of vagrancy on tourism? What options do we have for dealing with vagrancy and tourist harassment in Dominica? Students from Convent High School, Castle Bruce Secondary School, North East Comprehensive School, Pierre Charles Secondary School and Wesley High School advanced to Round Two and presented on the topic: “Your community, the next tourist paradise?” Nyana George thoroughly convinced the judges that her community, Castle Bruce was the next tourist paradise. The judges were overall quite impressed with the students performance however felt that some more research could have been done in some instances. (L-R): Five finalist in Round 2 Javian Thomas of Convent High School, Rena George of the North East Comprehensive School, Gordon Royer of the Pierre Charles Secondary School and Jasmine Farell of the Wesley High ScoolGeorge will represent Dominica at the Caribbean Tourism Organization’s Tourism Youth Congress in St. Kitts and Nevis in October 2012. Nyana will receive an aerial tram and zip line tour compliments Rainforest Aerial Tram and lunch for two compliments the Garraway Hotel. The second place winner, Jasmine Farrell of Wesley High School will receive a horseback riding tour compliments Rainforest Riding; and third place student of the Pierre Charles Secondary School, Gordon Royer will receive lunch for two compliments Fort Young Hotel. All participants will receive a tour of the Roseau Valley, compliments Cool Breeze Tours Ltd. The Castle Bruce Secondary School will also receive a monetary prize compliment of the AID Bank who were co-sponsors of the event. Live coverage of the event was made possible through part sponsorship of Kairi FM. Press Release Sharecenter_img Sharing is caring! Share Sharelast_img read more

Eagle soars to Wales’s success

first_img Despite having been off the track since finishing third in the Champion Stakes in October, Free Eagle was the 5-2 favourite for Dermot Weld and Pat Smullen kept things simple, positioning the market leader close to the pace and out of trouble. As the pacesetting French raider Gailo Chop began to fade from the home turn, Free Eagle was sent to the lead and quickened smartly to take a couple of lengths out of the field. Free Eagle was all out to repel the late thrust of The Grey Gatsby in a pulsating finish of the Prince of Wales’s Stakes at Royal Ascot. Press Association Kevin Ryan’s The Grey Gatsby, a 9-2 shot under Jamie Spencer, spent much of the race in behind horses and was crying out for a gap in the last quarter-mile. When he did finally get into the clear, he found top gear and was making ground all the way to the line, but went down by a short head. Western Hymn was back in third, with The Corsican coming home well in fourth. Smullen said: “I’ve never enjoyed a winner like it. “I’ve been saying for so long how good I think this horse is and we’ve had a stop-start campaign with him, but he’s shown today how good a horse he is. “They didn’t go over-fast but I committed soon enough and all credit to him, he kept going all the way to the line even though The Grey Gatsby came at me. “I can’t tell you how good a training performance this is, it hasn’t been easy at all, he’s done wonders with this horse to get him here today. “I didn’t think he’d be able to show his best today, but he did. “I think this horse will improve for a mile and a half, but you could see his speed the way he quickened up today.” Weld said: “He got a brilliant ride, he’s a very good horse. “When you’ve got a good horse it makes the training easy, but it hasn’t been easy with him. “He got a heavy head cold a few weeks ago and I thought today was very much in doubt, but we got him right on the day that mattered. “Fitness on the day was my main concern, as I said – I had him as fit as I could get him with the limited preparation he had. “He sticks his neck out and he battles. “The Irish Champion Stakes will be on the agenda and I’ve always thought the Arc would be the race for him.” Ryan said of The Grey Gatsby: “In the first two furlongs I thought they were going to go a good pace but then they half pulled it up and he got locked up. “In fairness, Jamie gave him a fantastic ride, it was a great horse race and he’s back to his best. “I knew we had him in great shape, he’s got a long run with a lot of races coming up now, I was quietly confident he’d put up a big show. “Fair dos to the winner, it was a great training performance but I’m not disappointed, I know the horse is back to his best and we can look forward.” “He’s proved today what we’ve said about him all along. “He’s in the Eclipse and he’s in the King George over a mile and a half. We’ll let the dust settle and see how the horse comes home. “I’ll speak to Jamie and Ryan (Moore) as well, I’m sure he’ll have an opinion.” John Gosden said of Western Hymn: “It was a great run, a fabulous race and take nothing away from the first two. “We probably wish we had a bit more pace in the race and that is where California Chrome might have helped us, but I’m over the moon.” David Simcock said of The Corsican: “I’m really pleased, it was just unfortunate he couldn’t have been a bit closer.” last_img read more

Taxing questions spoil Ballon d’Or win for Ronaldo

first_img(REUTERS) – Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo feels unable to celebrate his fourth Ballon d’Or award as much as his previous triumphs due to recent allegations of tax evasion.The European Investigative Collaborations (EIC) media consortium reported in early December that Ronaldo and several other clients of soccer agency Gestifute had used tax havens to handle tens of millions of euros in earnings.Gestifute denied the accusations last week.Ronaldo, who led Portugal to the Euro 2016 title in July after helping Real Madrid clinch the Champions League, expressed his disappointment at the timing of the charges against him.“Of course it (allegation) has spoiled it a little bit. I would be lying if I said it hadn’t. I’m not a hypocrite,” he told soccer magazine France Football.“I wasn’t pleased. The whole process in itself is hard and not only for me, but also for the people alongside me: my family, my son, all those who work with me.“All that irritates me because I try to do things correctly, be transparent.”In their denial, Gestifute stated that Ronaldo, who moved to Real Madrid from Manchester United in 2009, is compliant with his tax obligations in Spain.The 31-year-old Ronaldo, who beat Barcelona forward Lionel Messi and Atletico Madrid striker Antoine Griezmann to world football’s top individual prize for 2016 at a glitzy ceremony on Monday, insists he has nothing to hide.“You just have to type ‘Cristiano Ronaldo’ on the Internet and you know everything about me,” the Portugal captain said. “I don’t have any reason to lie.“What came out troubles me because it’s not true. The lie is troubling. I have done things correctlyThere are a lot of innocent people in prison. And I feel a little bit like that. You know you have done nothing wrong, and they say you have done something reprehensible. No one likes that.“But the truth always comes out. Sooner or later.”Ronaldo, who previously won the Ballon d’Or in 2008, 2013 and 2014, is currently with Real Madrid in Japan preparing for tomorrow’s Club World Cup semi-final against Mexican side Club America.last_img read more

Big changes ahead for Badger hockey

first_imgWhat do you know, another Badger hockey column from a depressed beat writer at The Badger Herald.Thing is, my partner in overwhelming sadness, Adam Holt, covered all the anguish Tuesday. We were certain our experience covering the 2009-10 team was going to end with a kick-ass Wisconsin national championship, and I couldn’t help but imagine my play-by-play call of the championship moment for WSUM.But instead, I described five BC goals and watched the Badgers come up empty. Season over.Now what?Well, now is about that time you hear the one line that makes every loyal sports fan cringe. “There’s always next year.”But as excruciatingly painful as those five words might sound (think Barry Melrose’s hockey coverage), especially after such a near-perfect season, they need to be said eventually.So what about next year? Will we have to wait another four years to see the Badgers return to the Frozen Four? Or can UW make another run next season?The latter doesn’t seem likely with all the changes this team is about to endure.First things first, let’s talk early departures. Expect juniors Ryan McDonagh and Brendan Smith to leave early to start their pro careers. McDonagh has nothing left to prove at the college level and while Smith could use more defensive seasoning, he would be wise to capitalize on his stellar statistical season.Cody Goloubef and Derek Stepan are two other candidates to leave early.Stepan has made it clear that he intends to stay at least one more year, and he needs to add some bulk before he joins the Rangers system with McDonagh (Damn Rangers… Adam, another Double Down please).BUT, if Stepan suddenly decides to leave, the Badgers are in deep trouble. Their top returning center man would be — drum roll, please — Sean Dolan.Goloubef hasn’t given any inclination either way.Blake Geoffrion showed how beneficial an extra year in college could be, and Badger fans will certainly hope the other NHL draft picks follow his lead.But even if McDonagh and Smith leave early, the defensive corps should be fine. Experienced returners Goloubef (maybe), Jake Gardiner, Justin Schultz and John Ramage provide a solid two pairs. Craig Johnson and Eric Springer have also shown they are more than capable of filling in. The D-unit won’t be as offensive-minded as it was this past year, but it should be good enough.Plus, next year the defensemen will play in front of returning goaltender Scott Gudmandson. That stability will alleviate some early season stress and provide UW with one of the top goalies in the WCHA.But seniors Blake Geoffrion, Ben Street, Michael Davies, Andy Bohmbach, Ben Grotting, Aaron Bendickson, and John Mitchell are all moving on.What’s the one thing they all have in common aside from taking their games to another level in their final year? They are all forwards.The top lines are absolutely gutted.So, the second-highest scoring team in the nation loses a huge chunk of offensive production. Stepan is primed for another big year as the top center, but there isn’t much proven scoring behind him (again, assuming he doesn’t leave early).But then there’s the special teams — you know, one of the undeniable keys to a championship team.The power play unit loses its playmaker in Davies and its man in the middle/faceoff technician in Geoffrion. Plus, if Smith leaves early that lethal slap shot from the point is gone. But there is even more work to be done on the penalty kill.Geoffrion, Bohmbach, Bendickson, Grotting and Street were all penalty-killing forwards. That’s not going to be easy to replace.Seniors-to-be Podge Turnbull, Patrick Johnson and Dolan will need to step into leadership roles and can offer some help on the PK, but those three aren’t going to magically attain a scoring touch.Now there are a number of highly touted forwards that will earn playing time as true freshman (thankfully Eaves continuously gets some of the best talent across the country), but you can’t rely on first-year players to score on a consistent basis. The adjustment to the college game takes time.If this team wants to make another postseason run it is going to need some younger forwards to carry some serious scoring weight.That burden falls on two players in particular. Craig Smith and Jordy Murray.In his first year, Smith showed flashes of greatness but finished with just eight goals. But his size and tremendous strength with the puck make him look unstoppable at times when he wants to get to the front of the net.His game-winner against Minnesota where he knocked the puck out of mid-air in the slot and snapped a shot just under the crossbar was only a sample of Smith’s potential. But like any freshman, the Predators’ draft choice was plagued by inconsistency and had a tendency to take bad penalties.The Madison native has all the tools to be one of the top scoring threats in the WCHA and the Badgers need him to mature quickly.Murray is another skilled forward who will need to just about double his 21 points this past year. While his game over the past few seasons has been about puck possession and hard work in the corners, he has great hands and a nose for the net.With more time on the top lines and on the power play, Murray will have plenty of opportunities to get a little more creative in the offensive end.With over 270 points potentially leaving Madison, the 2010-11 UW lineup is loaded with question marks.Badger fans should pray Stepan returns and trust that Smith and Murray can take a big leap forward.Otherwise, UW might be destined to return to its four-year Frozen Four plan.Max is a junior majoring in journalism. Think UW is primed for another NCAA tournament run? Let him know at [email protected]last_img read more

Ghana transfers: Razak signs for Cordoba, Sumaila exits Sundowns

first_imgRazak Brimah seals return move to CordobaGhana goalkeeper Razak Brimah has re-signed with his former club Cordoba in the Spanish second-tier league on a two-year deal.The 28-year-old was available on a free transfer after terminating his contract with another Segunda Division side Mirandes.Brimah first signed for Cordoba in 2013 but was made to play with the reserve side in the third-tier league.He was promoted to the first team during the off season and was expecting to feature in the La Liga but was confirmed third choice goalkeeper.The former Nania FC goalkeeper quit the club in August 2014 in search of regular first team football in order to remain competitive for national team football. Brimah (below) has been Ghana’s first choice goalkeeper and was between the sticks when the Black Stars finished second at the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations.Sumaila exits SundownsGhana defender Rashid Sumaila has sealed a permanent exit from dethroned South African champions Mamelodi Sundowns.The centre-back was farmed out by the Brazilians after helping the side with the Absa Premiership in his first season. He had failed to agree terms with a Turkish club after returning from the Brazil World Cup with Ghana during which period the club filled their foreign quota with his replacement. Sundowns initially sent him on loan to former club Asante Kotoko before calling him back when Al Qadsia placed a loan offer in the January transfer window.Sumaila played the half season on loan at Qadsia where he impressed as they finished third at the end of the Kuwaiti League while reaching the quarterfinals of the Asian Champions League as well.The 22-year-old, who also won the Emir Cup with the side in May, has now penned a three-year deal that will keep him in Kuwait till summer 2018.last_img read more