May 28, 2021 Find out more Organisation May 27, 2021 Find out more News News News Help by sharing this information RSF_en Follow the news on Belarus BelarusEurope – Central Asia BelarusEurope – Central Asia Receive email alerts Russian media boss drops the pretence and defends Belarus crackdown to go further August 23, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Government creates working group to restrict online free expression RSF at the Belarusian border: “The terrorist is the one who jails journalists and intimidates the public” Reporters Without Borders voiced concern today about deputy information minister Alyaksandr Slabadchuk’s announcement on 20 August that a working group is being set up to look at the “Internet’s legal regulation.” The announcement came two weeks after President Alexander Lukashenko threatened to put an end to “anarchy” on the Internet.“We are alarmed that the authorities have decided to pursue their preparations to restrict online free expression”, the press freedom organisation said. “The Internet is one of the few spaces where Belarusians can be free. The fact that China is being cited as an example shows how repressive these plans are.”Slabadchuk acknowledged that existing civil and criminal law provisions already apply to the Internet, but he defended the working group’s creation on the grounds that it was hard to identify those responsible for online violations and that the media law did not apply to Internet activity.“This is why, as it is not banned by His Majesty the Law, you can write anything you like on the Internet,” he told the Interfax news agency. He claimed that the new regulations would not restrict freedom, but he went on to cite how the Internet is controlled in China, where at least 50 Internet users are currently imprisoned.Andrei Bastunets, deputy chairman of the Belarusian Association of Journalists (BAJ), told Reporters Without Borders the government could include these new restrictions in a law for the protection of information that is to come before parliament in the autumn or in a new version of the media law.“The aim of Internet Regulation is to shut Belarus behind a legal and technological fence,” Bastunets said. “It is obviously impossible to close down all the websites overnight. But they can restrict the part of the Internet available to Belarusians and establish the necessary conditions for targeted prosecutions against Internet users.” June 2, 2021 Find out more “We welcome opening of criminal investigation in Lithuania in response to our complaint against Lukashenko” RSF says News
Servicers Navigate the Post-Pandemic World 2 days ago Demand Propels Home Prices Upward 2 days ago Data Provider Black Knight to Acquire Top of Mind 2 days ago Related Articles Tagged with: assessments Constitution Detroit foreclosure rate limit Michigan property values About Author: Dean Terrell Subscribe Demand Propels Home Prices Upward 2 days ago According to an article from The Washington Post, high assessments may be to blame for Detroit, Michigan’s foreclosure crisis. Two college professors, Bernadette Atuahene and Tim Hodges, published a study making the case that the property tax on thousands of homes’ were illegally assessed. In 2015, Detroit had one of the highest foreclosure rates at 3,949 foreclosures per 100,000 people.In an article from Detroit Free Press, Atuahene cited data from her previous study titled “Stagegraft” last year showing a consistent rate of tax assessments higher than what the Michigan State Constitution allows from 2009-2015. “In our study, we find that Detroit’s assessor is flagrantly violating this vital state constitutional provision” Atuahene told the Press.The Michigan constitution states homes cannot be assessed at more than 50 percent of its market value. However, data from Atuahene’s most recent report suggests that between 55 and 85 percent of homes were assessed well above the legal amount from 2008 to 2015, according to the Post. More than 160,000 homes have been foreclosed on in Detroit since 2002.Another important detail is how certain properties were targeted based on property values. Data showed cheaper properties were more likely to be assessed higher than the more expensive ones. In an interview, Atuahene states “We found in [the lowest priced homes] 95 percent or more were being assessed in violation of the Michigan constitution. But when you get to the highest valued homes, only 13 percent were assessed in violation.”In the article from the Post, Detroit Chief Assessor Alvin Horhn disputed the findings of the more recent study which is planned to be published next year. “Much of the data does not meet the standards of the State Tax Commission. Therefore its findings would not be applicable under Michigan law” Horhn told the Post. The Best Markets For Residential Property Investors 2 days ago Previous: Big Banks and FinTech: Do American Consumers Want Both? Next: Fannie Mae Makes Fifth Sale of Reperforming Loans High Tax Assessments Possible Cause for Growing Foreclosure Rate assessments Constitution Detroit foreclosure rate limit Michigan property values 2017-10-11 Dean Terrell in Daily Dose, Featured, Foreclosure, Journal Print This Post The Best Markets For Residential Property Investors 2 days ago Share Save Governmental Measures Target Expanded Access to Affordable Housing 2 days ago Servicers Navigate the Post-Pandemic World 2 days ago October 11, 2017 1,658 Views The Week Ahead: Nearing the Forbearance Exit 2 days ago Data Provider Black Knight to Acquire Top of Mind 2 days ago Governmental Measures Target Expanded Access to Affordable Housing 2 days ago Sign up for DS News Daily Home / Daily Dose / High Tax Assessments Possible Cause for Growing Foreclosure Rate
To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
Recipients of funds and training under the government’s preemployment card may not be able to practice the skills they learn through the program because the labor market has not recovered, experts say.Tadjudin Nur Effendi, an expert on labor issues from Gajdah Mada University in Yogyakarta, said the ongoing transition toward the so-called new normal, with regional administrations easing coronavirus restrictions, had yet to create new jobs.“I do not think that [people getting back their job] has taken place, because demand in the labor market is still low,” Tadjudin told The Jakarta Post in a phone interview on Tuesday. Luhur Bima, a researcher at SMERU Research Institute, said firms were most likely to employ people they previously furloughed.“Employers will be very cautious in restarting their business activity, so demand for labor amid the transition may not increase significantly,” Bima told the Post.With a budget of Rp 20 trillion (US$1.4 billion), the government introduced the preemployment card in mid-April to help 5.6 million people whose job or small businesses were hit by the pandemic. The government estimates that 3 to 5.2 million people may lose their jobs because of the severe economic impact of the pandemic.People affected by the pandemic are mostly young and educated, in line with the survey’s finding that 88 percent of the respondents were below 35 years of age and 59 percent were senior high school or vocational school graduates.The unemployment rate was highest among people aged 15 to 24 years, which stood at 16.28 percent in February, an increase of around 1 percentage points from a year earlier.Deni Purbasari, the executive director of the preemployment card program, maintained that the program was “not misdirected”, despite criticisms of its relevance to train the workforce at a time when employers are not hiring.“If they are unemployed, young and educated, they are obviously a wasted resource,” Denni said in a virtual briefing on Monday. “We have to make sure that this jobless generation is learning something while the job market plunges.”The survey found that 3,185 of the respondents, an overwhelming majority, hoped they would get new skills from the program, which partners with eight online learning platforms, including e-commerce giant Tokopedia.The most popular training courses in the program are languages, entrepreneurship skills, digital marketing, makeup, coffee brewing and information technology, said Panji of the program’s management team.The government offers Rp 600,000 in monthly aid as an incentive to encourage people to take the training, but those funds will only be disbursed once the recipient completes a course. Recipients are free to choose how to spend the money.In the survey, 4,105 respondents said they would use the aid to make ends meet, clearly in line with the backdrop of losing income.The second-most stated use of the aid was as capital to start a business, followed by funds to find a new job and for savings. Only 611 respondents told the survey they would use it to pay back debt.Panji said Monday that the survey did not evaluate the impact of the preemployment card on job placement rates of the recipients, because “that would require a more rigorous analysis”.“We have to see the preemployment card in the pandemic context with a semi-social assistance mission,” Panji said at the same briefing. “One of the achievements is disbursing the assistance and the feedback from recipients.”As few as 7.7 percent of the respondents considered the training ineffective, some of them arguing that the absence of in-person learning compromised the effectiveness.Despite the transition period, Panji said his office had not decided when to start conducting in-person training. The comments come as around 400,000 people or 60 percent of preemployment card recipients have completed their first training, according to Panji Ruky, the director of communication, partnership and ecosystem development for the preemployment card program.With many nonessential businesses shutting factories, the coronavirus restrictions have forced more than 1.7 million people out of work as of May 1, according to data from the Manpower Ministry. More than half of them were formal-sector workers furloughed by their employers.In line with the ministry’s report, a survey on the program’s eligible recipients by the National Team for Accelerating Poverty Alleviation (TNP2K) found that 80.8 percent of the respondents were unemployed in May.In January, only 37.6 percent of them told the survey they were unemployed, which suggests that they lost their jobs due to the pandemic. Topics :
Topics : “I see him every day and feel that there is no change in his condition,” Suga told reporters at a regular press conference.And on Thursday, Suga told Bloomberg News that Abe would “of course” be able to serve out the rest of his term, which ends September 2021.”He’ll be all right,” he said.But the health woes appear to have piled on the pressure for Abe, who this week broke the record for the longest uninterrupted stint in office in Japanese history.Despite the relatively contained impact of the coronavirus in Japan, Abe’s government has been heavily criticized for its approach to the crisis, including a U-turn on stimulus payments and a much-mocked decision to issue each household two cloth face masks.The prime minister has also seen his signature “Abenomics” economic policy come under increasing strain, with the country already slumping into recession even before the coronavirus crisis hit.Still, experts had said there was little appetite within the ruling Liberal Democratic Party for Abe to depart early, especially as there is no consensus yet on his successor.And with Japan’s fragmented opposition so far unable to capitalize on the government’s falling approval ratings, there had appeared to be little immediate pressure on him to step down.An abrupt resignation throws open various possibilities, including that either deputy prime minister Taro Aso — who also serves as finance minister — or chief cabinet secretary Yoshihide Suga would assume the office in a caretaker capacity.A later election within the party would then confirm a full-time successor.Both Aso and Suga, as well as several former and current cabinet members have been suggested as potential successors. Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is to resign over health problems, local media reported Friday, in a bombshell development that will end a record-setting tenure with no clear successor yet in place.There was no immediate confirmation of the reports, which came hours before Abe was due to give a press conference to address speculation about his health.The unexpected news sent Tokyo stocks plunging more than two percent, with the benchmark Nikkei 225 index reversing earlier gains. Rumors about Abe’s possible resignation had intensified after two recent surprise hospital visits for unspecified medical checks, but in recent days, senior government officials had suggested he would serve out the rest of remaining year in office.The resignation would be a bitterly familiar scenario for Abe, who stepped down just one year into his first term, in 2007, over health problems.He was subsequently diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, which he said upon return to office in 2012 was under control with the help of new medication.The resignation, if confirmed, will come despite the insistence of government spokesman Yoshihide Suga on Friday morning that Abe remained in good health.
Listen to the KGLO Morning News from Monday February 24th