Rohit Sharma returns to India ahead of teammates after World Cup 2019 exit

first_imgIndia vice-captain Rohit Sharma returned to India from England on Friday after India’s defeat to New Zealand in the semi-final of ICC Cricket World Cup 2019.Rohit has seemingly returned home ahead of his India teammates. The India opener was spotted at the Mumbai airport on Friday evening along with wife Ritika Sajdeh and daughter Samaira. Rohit was spotted driving an SUV fas he was surrounded by shutterbugs at the airport.Meanwhile, India players were reportedly expected to return from England on July 14. The players are scheduled to arrive in London and start their journey to Mumbai from the English capital. India had lost to New Zealand at Old Trafford in Manchester in a rain-affected semi-final match that spilled into the reserve day.”All players have dispersed. They will assemble in London tomorrow. On 14th, everyone is returning together from London. They will arrive in Mumbai,” a BCCI source had told PTI.Notably, captain Virat Kohli was spotted with Bollywood actor and wife Anushka Sharma in London after the semi-final defeat in Manchester earlier this week.Rohit came up with an emotional post on social media, saying India failed to deliver as a team when it mattered the most. Rohit, captain Virat Kohli and KL Rahul were dismissed for 1 each in the big semi-final as India’s top-order was blown away by New Zealand pacers in their chase of 240 in Manchester.advertisementA 116-run stand for the 7th wicket between MS Dhoni and Ravindra Jadeja helped India recover from the early setbacks but India fell short of the target by 18 runs and eventually crashed out of World Cup 2019 in the semi-final.”We failed to deliver as a team when it mattered, 30 minutes of poor cricket yesterday & that snatched away our chance for the cup. My heart is heavy as I’m sure yours is too.The support away from home was incredible.Thank you all for painting most of uk blue wherever we played (sic),” Rohit Sharma wrote on Twitter.Rohit remains the highest run-getter in World Cup 2019 as the India vice-captain amassed 648 runs, including a record-setting 5 hundreds. Rohit fell short of Sachin Tendulkar’s record for the most runs in a single edition of the World Cup by 25 runs.Speaking to India Today, batting great Sachin Tendulkar said Rohit Sharma would be feeling terrible after the World Cup semi-final exit in England.”He [Rohit Sharma] must be feeling terrible and so bad about the way we have ended this WC. It’s something which he will take quite some time to overcome because this is a huge disappointment. I feel bad for him,” Sachin Tendulkar told India Today.”It is a tough time for everyone, we have expectations and dreams. All I can say is its been a tough day. How bad they must be feeling in the dressing room. I fully agree that we should have chased 240. 10 out of 10 times we would have taken that.”Also Read | The contradictions and chaos that shattered India’s World Cup dreamAlso Read | BCCI wants selectors to throw light on ‘no.4’ fiasco after World Cup exitAlso See:last_img read more

Sarri confirms contact talks amid Chelsea reports

first_imgNapoli Sarri: Contract talks to take place amid Chelsea reports Sacha Pisani 12:35 2/5/18 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(0) MaurizioSarri-cropped Getty Images Napoli Benevento v Napoli Serie A Chelsea Talks between the Napoli manager and team officials will take place regarding a new contract for the 59-year-old Napoli head coach Maurizio Sarri said discussions will take place regarding a new contract “over the next few days” following links with Premier League side Chelsea.Sarri, 59, has reportedly emerged as a target for Chelsea, who are apparently considering the future of Premier League-winning boss and fellow Italian Antonio Conte.Napoli have earned rave reviews for their style of play under Sarri, with the Italian high-flyers a point clear atop Serie A. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Lyon treble & England heartbreak: The full story behind Lucy Bronze’s dramatic 2019 Liverpool v Man City is now the league’s biggest rivalry and the bitterness is growing Megan Rapinoe: Born & brilliant in the U.S.A. A Liverpool legend in the making: Behind Virgil van Dijk’s remarkable rise to world’s best player Asked about reports president Aurelio De Laurentiis is set to offer a new deal, Sarri told Mediaset Premium: “I can’t meet anyone on Friday, as we have a game on Saturday.”I want to focus on other issues right now, so someone will meet with the president over the next few days and listen to the proposal on my behalf.”There’s no problem between Aurelio and I, so it’s not an issue.”Napoli stayed top of the standings thanks to Sunday’s 2-0 win over Benevento.Dries Mertens and Marek Hamsik scored for Napoli, who moved back above Juventus after the defending champions embarrassed Sassuolo 7-0.”The surprising thing is that Napoli are up there, not Juventus,” Sarri said. “This team picked up 60 points in 23 games, an extraordinary tally. Juve are going at more or less the same pace, but they are accustomed to it.”We cannot feel pressure, because we are going beyond anyone’s expectations. Don’t forget, pre-season you all said it was a fight between Juventus and AC Milan. We are doing better than I expected, than the club expected, so there is zero pressure.”Mertens hobbled off with an ankle injury in the victory and Sarri said: “We’ll evaluate Mertens tomorrow [Monday]. He had a knock and a slight sprain, it doesn’t seem particularly serious.”last_img read more

Atlantic salmon caught in BC waters far north of damaged US fish

first_imgSECHELT, B.C. – A First Nation on British Columbia’s south coast says its members have caught three Atlantic salmon after thousands of the fish escaped from a farm in Washington state.The Shishalh First Nation in Sechelt says its members caught the Atlantic salmon while fishing for pink salmon on Sunday.A news release from the band says the fish weighed between three and 4.5 kilograms, one was male and the two females had developing eggs.Band officials say there’s a high probability all three escaped Aug. 19 when a pen containing 305,000 salmon collapsed in U.S. waters about 150 kilometres to the south at a Cooke Aquaculture fish farm.Fisheries and Oceans Canada has confirmed one Atlantic salmon was caught off southwestern Vancouver Island on Saturday and officials were checking reports that two more of the non-native species were hooked off Sooke and Esquimalt.Sishalh Chief Warren Paull says the First Nation does not support the farming of non-indigenous salmonid species within its territory and the question is not if, but when Atlantic salmon will enter B.C. streams.Concerns have been raised that escaped Atlantic salmon could compete with their Pacific cousins for food, interbreed with them or introduce disease.“We hope this situation can be contained and monitored, and that future decision making around marine finfish aquaculture will be carried out through developing shared and collaborative decision making processes with First Nations,” Paull says in the release.Michael Rust, science adviser with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s aquaculture office, told The Associated Press last week that farmed salmon tend to be domesticated, raised on feed and are not used to catching fish or escaping predators. Farmed salmon are more likely to be prey than predator, he said.On Saturday, Washington state Gov. Jay Inslee directed the Department of Ecology to put any new permits for net pens on hold.The Lummi Nation in northwest Washington state declared a state of emergency last week and directed its members to catch as many of the escaped salmon as possible.The band reports its anglers caught about 20,000 of the fish over the weekend.New Brunswick-based Cooke Aquaculture has said high tides and currents damaged the salmon farm and led to the escape. (The Canadian Press, AP, CFAX)last_img read more