September 1, 2015For Immediate ReleaseEvansville City Council Candidate Alex Burton Proposes a Broader Approach to Blight EliminationEvansville, IN – Alex Burton, Democrat candidate for an at-large seat on the Evansville City Council, believes the real solution to blight is a program that focuses on prevention and efforts to salvage properties before they are beyond repair.In the coming weeks, he will outline his plan for a broader approach to the problem of neglected and unsafe properties.“The administration has a plan to demolish blighted homes that have become eyesores and have a negative impact on entire neighborhoods,” Burton said. “I agree with the goal, but we should also explore ways to salvage homes that are in need of repairs before they deteriorate to the point that demolition is the only solution.”Burton proposes forming public-private partnerships that would be extremely beneficial to our entire community, especially those neighborhoods where blighted properties are abundant.“We do have a problem with blighted homes, but we also need to have a plan to address the condition of these properties before they become unsalvageable,” he contends. “We need to break the cycle of disrepair that leads to blight.”He will be having discussions with social service agencies, labor unions and companies in the next few weeks to lay the groundwork for a plan that best serves the residents of Evansville.Burton’s campaign is based on teamwork, good public policy, and a focus on the future of [email protected] City Council Candidate Alex BurtonPlease take time and vote in today’s “Readers Poll”. Don’t miss reading today’s Feature articles because they are always an interesting read.Please scroll at the bottom of our paper so you can enjoy our creative political cartoons. Copyright 2015 City County Observer. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.FacebookTwitterCopy LinkEmail
The European Insurance and Occupational Pensions Authority (EIOPA) has no legal mandate to conduct its forthcoming stress tests for pension funds and should be challenged, according to Germany’s pension association (aba).Heribert Karch, chairman at the aba, questioned why EIOPA was still proceeding with the stress test, with a consultation due on 11 May, even after the European Commission gave repeated assurances that it would not attempt to introduce regulations akin to Solvency II “through the back door”.Speaking at the association’s annual conference in Berlin, Karch argued that the shadow of former internal markets commissioner Michel Barnier, who stepped down last December and was replaced by Jonathan Hill as commissioner for financial stability, still loomed large over the pensions industry.“EIOPA has no legal basis for the new phase of stress tests,” he told delegates. “And, if that is true, and we all know how counter-productive the introduction of [a holistic balance sheet] regulation would be, then maybe we should re-examine the evidence. “The European Commission’s thoughts have moved on, and EIOPA continues, with a mandate it granted itself, the job begun by commissioner Barnier.“Ladies and gentleman, how can this be true? I have to ask: How long will we continue to put up with this?”Karch added that he was in “intensive talks” with his Dutch colleagues about the matter and drafting a letter to the German Federal Finance Ministry that would be co-signed by the German employers association BDA.The Dutch Pensions Federation confirmed it was holding talks with the aba on the matter.EIOPA chairman Gabriel Bernardino has previously defended the stress tests, telling a conference organised by the UK’s National Association of Pension Funds that it would not copy the model applied to the insurance sector.At the time, he also emphasised that it was important for the regulator to assess how financial shocks are transmitted through the markets, something it cannot monitor at present.“We do not want to start the thinking with the opinion that big pension funds are systemically important – this is not our starting point,” Bernardino said.“We want to understand the market better and how the linkages are.”However, the European industry has taken a dim view of the project since it was confirmed last summer, warning of “new and unnecessary burdens” for pension funds.
Why head to Staples Center to find a two-time defending championship team, arguably the best player in his game and an unparalleled tradition? That team is right here on campus – the USC men’s tennis team.As the new season commences, the preparations and expectations for the defending 2009 and 2010 NCAA champions are the same as they have always been.“Having won the NCAAs two times in a row, I don’t think changes anything we do,” said coach Peter Smith. “Winning championships is nothing new for USC athletes. That is the expectation we have every year.”During the summer break, many of the players have been playing in tournaments throughout the world.As players return to Troy, the attention will change from a collective atmosphere – during the spring semester – to individual play throughout the first semester.“During the individual season, there is less emphasis on working as a team, you want to focus more on how well you perform at the individual tournaments in the fall,” said junior Daniel Nguyen. “When the team season comes around the corner, we now focus on the team as a whole and how we represent the university and team.”The inevitable turnover of a college roster did not evade this Trojan team as two seniors moved on following the end of last season.Jason McNaughton – who overcame several injuries throughout his career at USC – contributed in many key matches last season.In addition, USC lost Robert Farah, the reigning ITA Player of Year who finished the season ranked No. 1 in singles and No. 3 in doubles. Farah is currently playing professionally and has shot up to 225 in the ATP rankings.“Losing Farah is a real challenge for our team,” Smith said. “He developed into a leader for us and he won so many important matches for us. We hope that we can develop someone like Rob soon. I think [junior] Steve Johnson can fill that role quickly, but the key is can we find someone to fill in for Steve. Someone like [senior Jaak Poldma], Nguyen, or [senior Peter Lucassen] needs to step up.”Veteran Steve Johnson, who played doubled with Farah, agreed.“Those are certainly tough shoes to fill, but we have guys from last year coming back ready to step up and hopefully a few of the new guys coming in will come in and bring a lot to the table,” Johnson said.The newcomers consist of three freshmen who show promise in keeping the championship tradition alive for seasons to come: Raymond Sarmiento, a Fontana, Calif. native who was rated second nationally in his recruiting class, Santa Barbara, Calif. native Michael Grant and Corey Smith. (he might be the coach’s nephew — can you ask the writer for more info on him?)The focus for these freshmen should not be tennis as much as adjust to the college lifestyle during this first semester, Peter Smith said.“I am not so much worried about their tennis, I know we can take care of that on the court,” he said. “I am concerned that they will make the correct decisions off the court. The adjustments they need to make are going to be in balancing academics and tennis.”Overall, Smith said, the experience of the past two seasons has ingrained in this team the ability to not concentrate on peripheral distractions, and the knowledge that the foundation for championship-level play is laid during the individual season.“The biggest takeaway from last year is that talk and seedings are cheap, toughness and true confidence are the only things that really matter on the final days of the season,” Smith said.
Meanwhile, a tropical low in the Central Gulf of Mexico could become the next tropical depression or Tropical Storm Hannah.That system will set its sights on the Texas Coast as a wind and rain event by the end of this week.As for our weather, Thursday will bring mostly cloudy skies with off and on showers and storms again.We will continue to get a break from the scorching temperatures of recent weeks, as the highs will “only” reach into the mid to upper 80s.Friday will bring a bit more sunshine as the weekend kicks in, with highs back near 90 and scattered showers and storms possible. That pattern will continue through the weekend. Forecasters say the hurricane season is now in full swing, as they track two systems in the tropics for the first time this year.Fortunately for us, we’re in the clear, for now.Tropical Storm Gonzalo, which formed early Wednesday, is now the seventh named tropical cyclone continuing to moved toward the Caribbean.It is forecast to strengthen into a hurricane as soon as Thursday.Tropical Storm #Gonzalo Advisory 5: Gonzalo Moving Westward With Little Change in Strength During The Past Several Hours. Expected to Become a Hurricane By Thursday. https://t.co/VqHn0u1vgc— National Hurricane Center (@NHC_Atlantic) July 22, 2020 As Gonzalo moves into the Caribbean during the weekend, it will likely encounter moderate to high levels of wind shear. This will weaken the storm.Courtesy: National Hurricane Center