Print RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Advertisement Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” WITH overall visitor numbers to Ireland on the rise, hoteliers have warned that the drop in visitors from the UK needs action.Irish Hotel Federation (IHF) Shannon Branch chairman Brian Harrington said that the growth in domestic tourism was particularly encouraging but he warned that the bite of Brexit is being felt.Mr Harrington was commenting on the continued fall in UK numbers, as represented in the latest CSO figures.“Many of the consequences of Brexit are largely outside our control, so it is imperative that we mitigate the risks and potential damage where we do have some control over our destiny,” he said.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Tourism now supports 7,500 jobs in Limerick and contributes €279 million to the local economy annually. The county has seen an increase in overseas visitor numbers of 236,000 since 2010.With Britain serving as the country’s nearest and largest tourism market, concern has been raised that visitor numbers dropped in the first seven months of the year by almost 140,000.The number represented an overall six per cent drop on the two million visitors to Ireland.Brexit and a weakening sterling exchange rate to the euro have been linked with the fall.“Continued growth remains a priority and while it is achievable, it requires specific actions. Ireland’s competitive tourism offering will certainly help and this is underpinned by important measures”, the regional boss said as he again encouraged a retention of the 9 per cent VAT rate,” Mr Harrington said.“We must also continue to invest in product development and marketing”, he added, praising the successful work done on marketing the Wild Atlantic Way.Despite the drop in UK visitors, the country has experienced a 3.1 per cent rise in overall tourism, largely from North America.During the Summer months of May, June and July, there was a four per cent increase, year on year.Representatives from Tourist bodies and the IHF have again urged Government to “take the necessary steps to protect Irish tourism”.“Our industry faces significant risks associated with Brexit due to the continued economic uncertainty and the marked fall in the sterling exchange rate, with regional tourism likely to be hit hardest.”Early growth figures in 2017 has now slowed according to Tourism Ireland but groups have targeted lucrative markets such as the US and Asia.In contrast, Irish residents made 2.37 million trips overseas in the same three-month period representing a 5 per cent increase on last year.Meantime, tourism industry in the Mid-West is thriving but more needs to be done to promote the region to visitors, a Fine Gael TD has said.Deputy Tom Neville, a member of the Jobs Enterprise and Innovation Joint Oireachtas committee said: “The number of people employed in tourism in Limerick, Clare and North Tipperary has climbed 2,550 to 18,150 in the last five years.This is hugely positive for the region, but I know myself that Limerick has the potential to attract far more visitors.”Limerick, he believes, has so much to offer in terms of history and culture.See more Limerick news here TAGSIHFlimerickMid WestShannon WhatsApp Facebook Email Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Linkedin Previous articleNeville brought joy to the gameNext articleDrinking in America in Dolan’s Bar Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Twitter NewsDrop in UK visitors being felt in Limerick and regionBy Staff Reporter – September 1, 2017 1381 Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clash
For all his long-range plans, Bruce’s focus was also on the more short-term importance of Saturday’s visit to Leicester. The Foxes go into the weekend’s fixtures bottom of the table, nine points and five places behind Hull. It is a significant match for both sides, with Bruce hoping to cut Leicester adrift. “It’s a big game coming up, a huge one really,” he said. “If we can beat Leicester it’s going to be very difficult for them to catch us. “There’s the big incentive for us. That’s what we have to try and do. Get to the magical 30 with nine games to play because psychologically that’s a big, huge number.” Midfielder Mohamed Diame and defender James Chester are progressing well with respective knee and shoulder injuries, but Bruce will not be able to call on the pair at the King Power Stadium. “There’s been reports Diame would be involved, but it’s still a bit too early for him unfortunately,” he added. “We hope that he’s joining in training by the middle of next week, but he’s been out now for the best part of four months. “Chester will hopefully get the go ahead too for something like next week. Hopefully that will give the whole squad a boost but for this weekend they won’t be available.” His only aim for the current campaign is to secure Barclays Premier League football for a third successive year, but beyond that he has grander ambitions. On the pitch he has already banked the club promotion at the first attempt, top-flight survival last term and a first ever FA Cup final, but he also has one eye on improving the modest infrastructure before his time is done. “I’m delighted because I’ve enjoyed the last two and half years,” he said. “I have to say this season has been difficult at times, no question about that, but I’ve still enjoyed it and that’s the most important thing. “What we’ve started here, for me, is about trying to establish the club as a Premier League club – from the Academy to setting up a scouting network, (improving) the training facility. That can all be part of a Premier League club going forward. “When you commit yourself to a new deal the first thing is ‘do you still have the energy for it?’ “There’s no doubt about, the Premier League is demanding, so all those things were going through my mind but I was delighted to commit myself to the club. “A big thing is ‘do you still enjoy it?’ And that I do…apart from the 90 minutes on a Saturday afternoon!” Bruce’s current deal expires at the end of the season and talks which had been ongoing for a matter of months have now come to a satisfactory conclusion. The 54-year-old admits he had moments of pause, during which he examined his own desire to remain in management, but came away with a resolve to continue his work with the Tigers. Manager Steve Bruce is committed to rebuilding Hull’s foundations after agreeing to stay at the KC Stadium for another three years. Press Association
LONDON, England (CMC) – West Indies can close the gap on eighth-ranked Sri Lanka, when they face New Zealand in a three-match One-Day International series bowling off in Whangarei tomorrow.In the latest rankings released yesterday by the International Cricket Council (ICC) , the Windies were ninth on 77 points, seven ratings points adrift of the Sri Lankans.If West Indies sweep the series against the fifth-ranked Black Caps, they will move up six points to 83, just one point behind Sri Lanka. A 2-1 series win would hand them three points and see them jump to 80 points.However, if the Windies lose 2-1 they will gain a single ratings point and drop a point if they lose the series 3-0.The Caribbean side will fancy their chances against New Zealand, especially with a side that boasts the likes of experienced left-hander Chris Gayle.In their last 20 meetings in bilateral series, New Zealand have won nine and the Windies eight. The last series on New Zealand soil ended in a 2-2 draw, after one game was abandoned.West Indies have had a disappointing run of recent in ODIs, however, losing 13 of their 20 outings this year, while winning just three.Their 4-0 defeat to England in a five-match series last September saw them miss out on automatic qualification for the 2019 World Cup, as they finished outside of the top eight in the rankings.Hosts England, along with the next seven nations in the rankings, achieved automatic qualification.West Indies will now contest a 10-team qualifier next March in Zimbabwe to bid for one of the two remaining spots at the World Cup.They will clash with the likes of minnows Afghanistan, Ireland and Zimbabwe, along with the Netherlands, Scotland, Papua New Guinea and Hong Kong from the World Cricket League Championship, and two yet-to-be determined sides from the ICC World Cricket League Division Two.South Africa head the current ODI standings.
Grant Hill DukeKentucky is the college basketball program that gets most of the love these days for producing NBA talent, but Duke has been pretty great at it, too. Since Mike Krzyzewski took over the Blue Devils’ program in 1980, he’s had 51 players get selected in the NBA Draft. Thursday night, he’ll add to that number, as Jahlil Okafor, Justise Winslow and Tyus Jones are all projected to get picked in the first round, with Quinn Cook a potential second-round pick. In anticipation of the draft, Duke has released a cool video celebrating all of Coach K’s NBA players.
APTN National NewsSome of members of Parliament stepped away from summer recess for a special debate in Ottawa Monday.The House of Commons justice committee began examining the government’s proposed prostitution bill.APTN’s Annette Francis has the story.
After an absolutely scorching first three rounds of the 2015 Masters, 21-year-old Jordan Spieth shot a 2-under-par 70 Sunday to finish off his first major championship victory. Giving the performance even more historical import, Spieth’s 72-hole score of 270 — 18 strokes under par — tied Tiger Woods’s 1997 record for the lowest score in the tournament’s long history. It was undoubtedly one of the most dominant performances ever seen at Augusta National.But was it the most dominant? Relative to the field, probably not, because not all 72-hole scores are created equal.When Woods shot his 270, the average player to make the cut in the Masters shot a 3-over-par 291, which ranks 31st-lowest out of the 79 Masters staged since the tournament began in 1934. Woods’s score, then, was 21 strokes better than the field average for players who completed all 72 holes, the fourth-best mark relative to the field in Masters history. (No. 1 was Cary Middlecoff, whose 279 was 24.8 strokes better than average in 1955, two years before the tournament instituted a 36-hole cut.)In 2015, the field averaged a 72-hole score of 285.6, 2.4 strokes better than par — the third-lowest average in tournament history — meaning the typical player in this year’s Masters took 5.4 fewer strokes than in Woods’s record-setting year. In turn, Spieth’s 270 was only 15.6 strokes better than the field average, a mark that ranks just 42nd among 72-hole scores since 1934.In fairness to Spieth, 37 of the 41 players ahead of him on that list put up their scores before the Masters started cutting the field down after 36 holes in 1957. Before that, scores such as Charles Kunkle’s 340 in 1956 polluted the overall field averages, making top-of-the-leaderboard performances look far better by comparison. But even if we limit our sample of tournaments to 1957 and later, Spieth’s -15.6 mark relative to the field ranks fifth-best, trailing not only Woods’s in 1997, but also Masters wins by Raymond Floyd, Jack Nicklaus and Phil Mickelson:The rest of the field was so good this year that a record four players shot 11-under-par or better, and 58 percent of all players who made the cut broke par. Even without including Spieth’s 270, the rest of the field averaged a score of 285.9, the third-lowest 72-hole average for non-winners since 1957:This doesn’t take much shine off Spieth’s week at Augusta, of course. He’s only 21, the same age as Woods in 1997; Nicklaus was 25, Floyd was 33 and Mickelson was 39 when they posted superior performances relative to opponents playing the same course under the same conditions. But as long as par isn’t what the typical player shoots, the field average should always be taken into account when comparing scores across tournaments and eras — and in Spieth’s case, that slightly lowers the historical significance of his 2015 performance.
Larry Johnson watches the team practice before the Blue and White scrimmage April 20 at Beaver Stadium.Credit: Courtesy of Daily CollegianLarry Johnson is officially an Ohio State Buckeye.OSU made the announcement Wednesday, naming Johnson the next assistant head coach and defensive line coach for the Buckeyes, according to a press release.“I am very pleased that Larry Johnson is an Ohio State Buckeye,” OSU coach Urban Meyer said in the release. “I have great respect for him as a family man, as a coach and mentor of young men and as a recruiter. He is an outstanding addition to our coaching staff.”Johnson spent the last 18 years of his career at Penn State, including overseeing the entire defensive line for the last 14 years. He also spent 20 years coaching high school football in Maryland and Virginia, according to the release.“In just a few hours I can tell that Ohio State cares about football,” Johnson said in the release. “There is a winning tradition that is important here. They care about academics and they care about players, and I like the way coach Urban Meyer approaches things. He’s a great teacher. He is very organized and this is what I was looking for.”Johnson is set to replace former Buckeye defensive line coach Mike Vrabel, who announced via Twitter Jan. 9 he was leaving OSU to take a job with the Houston Texans of the NFL. Vrabel’s jump to the NFL comes after Houston announced the hiring of former Penn State head coach Bill O’Brien Jan. 3.While coaching at Penn State, six of Johnson’s defensive linemen were first-round NFL Draft selections, most recently Jared Odrick in 2010. Johnson also coached seven first-team All-Americans on the defensive line in his time at State College, Pa., including Courtney Brown, who was picked No. 1 overall in the NFL Draft in 2000.Since 1996, Johnson’s first season with the Nittany Lions, no other Big Ten team has had as many players from one position win Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year than the five defensive ends Johnson coached.“I am really impressed with the Ohio State players. I just met a group of players, walked out of the room and thought, ‘wow,’ these are kinds of players I want to coach,” Johnson said. “They were really impressive.”Johnson, who grew up in Williamston, N.C., coached a defense that led the nation in sacks from 2005-09. He focuses on fundamentals and forming relationships with the players he coaches, according to the release.“I’m a relationship guy and I think in order to get the best out of your players you have to develop relationships,” Johnson said in a released statement. “I’m also a teacher. I like to teach the basic fundamentals of football. I want guys who are fundamentally sound and have the ability to play fast and to play relentless.”Johnson’s salary was not immediately available Wednesday evening, per OSU. The man he is replacing at OSU, Vrabel, earned a base salary of $291,004 last season, according to the USA TODAY coaches database.According to PennLive, Johnson was offered to remain as defensive line coach for the Nittany Lions by their new head coach — James Franklin — but declined.The Buckeyes are set to open their 2014 campaign Aug. 30 against Navy at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore.
Juventus director Beppe Marotta believes that they have “put together a very competitive team because we want to go all the way in all our objectives.”Juventus is playing their first home game of the season today against Lazio, and Ronaldo was handed his home debut too.Juventus director Marotta is confident that with the signings they have made, that Juventus can win all the trophies they compete for this season.Vidic: “Ronaldo is the most professional footballer I’ve seen” Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Nemanja Vidic opened up on how a 21-year-old Cristiano Ronaldo’s professionalism left him stunned at Manchester United.“In this squad there is no classic divide between first choice and substitutes, they are all co-starters here. We put together a very competitive team because we want to go all the way in all our objectives,” Marotta told Sky Sport Italia, via Football Italia.“The club supports the work of the Coach on a daily level. The players understand they can’t always start and are all very professional, so the frequent squad rotation allows them all to be in good shape and mentally engaged.“It takes real intelligence to get the players to accept and embrace that situation, certainly more so than in recent years.”
A report on Daily Echo has countered the previous report in The Mirror which stated that Cherries’ manager, Eddie Howe, would “double his money” at the club.A sum if happens, would make him the highest earning domestic manager in Premier League.The Mirror’s exclusive has even concluded that his salary will have to go above the £3m he receives as basic. Add bonuses to that and we witness a price even way above the stated figure.Eddie Howe pleased with attacking poise, but feels Wilson was too honest Stuart Heath – August 25, 2019 A.F.C Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe felt as though his striker Callum Wilson was too honest against Manchester City and may have won a penalty,…But Daily Echo claims they have been told that Howe currently does not have any negotiation with the club over the status of his contract and that the rumor was a common hoax.Howe only had that opportunity after taking Cherries to the Premier League in May of 2015. While he was more concerned about the club’s performance in the top games, he even did not consider that until October of the following season.Howe is in contract with Cherries until the end of 2019-20. At 40 years old, he is in his fourth season with Cherries.
The German-born American goalkeeper hopes his time with the United States senior national team will help his debut in the leagueGoalkeeper Jonathan Klinsmann was born in Germany but has defended the national colors of the United States since 2014.He’s now been called up for today’s match between England and the USA, and he hopes this will help his debut in the German Bundesliga soon for Hertha Berlin.“I think we all had varying reasons to go abroad,” Klinsmann explained to bundesliga.com.“[But] the biggest one I think would be that the Bundesliga has had a good reputation of giving young players a chance to play. Most clubs are known for developing talent and that age is only a number.”Merson believes Arsenal should sign Sancho Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho might be the perfect player to play for the Gunners, according to former England international Paul Merson.“I’m learning a lot here and we have a very good working relationship with all the keepers at Hertha which I’m grateful for,” he added.“But also at the end of the day, I have my sights set on the spot above me. We need to climb and be able to put pressure on the No. 1 as well.”“I was always a striker or attacking mid but at one point just hopped in goal for fun during a break at school,” he explained.“I loved diving around and making those big saves. I eventually asked to go in goal for my club and I stayed there. My dad used to shoot on me a bit in our backyard or on the school fields, and he usually scored so that was some good motivation to get better!”