Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college The 26-year-old Tapales fought as a featherweight for the first time after failing to make weight in his last fight in April of last year against Shohei Omori of Japan in Osaka.Tapales stopped Omori in the 11th round but he was stripped of his WBO bantamweight belt for being overweight.Tapales feels he’s regained his top form by moving up in weight.“I feel very strong and confident,” he said.ADVERTISEMENT Marlon Tapales, left, faces off with Goodluck Mrema of Tanzania during the official weigh-in on Saturday, Sept. 29, 2018, at TV5 Media Center. Mark Giongco/INQUIRER.netFormer world champion Marlon Tapales waited for more than a year before making his return to the ring.His comeback fight, however, didn’t last long.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award LATEST STORIES Madrid and Atletico draw in derby, Barcelona stays ahead Gov’t to employ 6,000 displaced by Taal View comments Tapales needed only one round and one punch to knock out his Tanzanian foe Goodluck Mrema on Sunday in front of his hometown crowd at SM North Edsa SkyDome in Quezon City.“It feels so good to be back in the ring,” Tapales said in Filipino. “I also prepared really well for this fight.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissTapales (31-2, 14 KOs) decked Mrema (22-4, 12 KOs) after the Tanzanian walked into a crushing right hook in the temple.“I knew that’s going to come. I watched his videos and I set that punch up,” he recalled of the KO. Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Allen Durham still determined to help Meralco win 1st PBA title
Liberians United for Dignified Labor (LUFDL) has called on President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf’s administration to intervene in the saga involving ArcelorMittal and the Engineers and Planners (E&P).LUFDL, in a press release, said ArcelorMittal has threatened employees of E&P with dismissal, adding that hundreds of people are facing starvation due to the ongoing dispute.According to the release, bulk of the inhabitants of ArcelorMittal’s operational areas, are living in appalling conditions. A situation LUFDL describes as regrettable for a company that once promised more to the Liberian people.ArcellorMittal spokesperson, Madam Pamela Brown, said in a special statement: “The suspension of our (ArcelorMittal’s) operation in Yekepa, Nimba County, was an unfortunate issue for E&P. This is a situation that has rendered Liberians in that area jobless in the wake of the nation’s high unemployment rate.”LUFDL in its release stated that the decision made by E&P is attributed to the alleged refusal of ArcelorMittal to settle millions of dollars worth of debt to E&P for sub contractual functions.ArcelorMittal and E&P entered into a contract in 2011, and that contract ends on December 31, 2013.However, on December 5, 2013, E&P ordered their employees to stop all work in the mine, after sending a notice to ArcelorMittal’s management informing them of the decision.ArcelorMittal’s management said it would not force any E&P employees to go back to work, and emphasized that E&P workers, on their own, decided to resume their duties. This allegation made by ArcelorMittal’s management is yet to be verified.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
…Judge orders trial into matterIn just about three months, the Attorney General’s (AG’s) Chambers will have to provide explanations as to why businessman, Ronald Khan’s $54 million worth in diamonds – taken as evidence by Police after it was recovered following a 1994 robbery investigation – went missing.Justice Fidela Corbin-Lincoln on Tuesday ordered the matter go to trial after the State disclosed that it is not settling the suit with Khan, who is now elderly. The businessman had previously stated that he would drop the suit once his property was returned.Solicitor General (SG) Kym Kyte reported to the court that the State was unsuccessful in its bid to locate the missing diamonds as many persons involved in the two decades plus matter have since died. She also contended that the Plaintiff has to prove that the missing items were indeed diamonds.Attorney General Basil WilliamsKhan filed legal action against the State in 2011 seeking to recoup his uncut diamonds which the Police found some time after his Ewang Creek, mining camp in Region Eight (Potaro-Siparuni) was robbed in 1994. The precious merchandise was taken to the Mahdia Police Station and transported to Police in E (Linden-Kwakwani) and F (Interior locations) Divisions and Khan said he was told that the items were exhibits in the case.The diamonds subsequently vanished but after the matter garnered increased attention, at least two retired Police Officers published statements earlier this year denying involvement as it pertains to the missing items.The State in its submissions related that Khan’s decision to wait until 2011 to file his claim was not within the three-year timeframe as outlined in Section 6 and 8 of Chapter 7:02 of the Limitation Act.Former Police Commissioner Floyd McDonaldOn Tuesday, the Solicitor General told the court that the onus was on the Plaintiff to bring his claim within that time, adding that photographs could have been taken of the alleged missing diamonds.According to court documents seen by Guyana Times, Khan wrote the late Police Commissioner Henry Greene in 2010, requesting the return of his diamonds. The businessman said while his letter was acknowledged, his property was not returned.The State will call two witnesses to the stand while Attorney Nigel Hughes will call the businessman to testify in the trial which begins on August 23. In the meantime, the Judge gave both sides time to file witness statements.Further, the State has until July 6 to file submissions on the limitation arguments while the applicant, Khan, will respond by July 20.The case garnered increased attention after the Attorney General published notices in the press calling for several Police ranks, including former Police Commissioner Floyd McDonald, to make contact with his Chambers. Some of those called for are now elderly men.McDonald, who served as Crime Chief in 1994, was named in addition to Harley Davidson, Deputy Crime Chief; Eon Sandy, who was stationed at the Supreme Criminal Court’s Police Outpost; and Alwyn Wilson, who was stationed at then E and F Division headquarters at Eve Leary. Notices were also sent out for Terrence Semple, who was last stationed at Mahdia Police Station; Courtney Ramsey and Desmond Leitch, both last stationed at the Criminal Investigation Department; Constable Fraser (Reg Number: 10881), and ex-Detective Sergeant Carl Wilson (Reg Number: 7797). (Shemuel Fanfair)
Arsenal’s displays on the pitch so far this season have been a mixed bag and their performances off it are puzzling, too.Three Gunners appear in a new advert for Europcar, and we’re not sure whether it’s funny or a bit weird.Per Mertesacker, Jack Wilshere and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain all feature, as we supposedly meet family members of these Arsenal stars.‘Trudy Mertesacker’ (Per’s sister) is a baker, ‘Uncle Kenny Wilshere’ is a plumber and ‘Darren Oxlade-Chamberlain’ is the Ox’s plane-spotting cousin.The roles are played by comedy actors – Darren Ox’s voice sounds familiar (Keith from The Office?) – with the faces of the players added with some computer-wizardry.It has to be said, the three Arsenal stars do their best and, ahead of the match with Manchester United, they are certainly better actors than Wayne Rooney!
The Wee Glee Singers from Buncrana, aged 6 – 14, have reached both coasts of America with their recording of ‘The Ballad of 1916’.The singers are a community singing group of 25 boys and girls from all over Inishowen, and part of The Music Box in BuncranaTheir recording of ‘The Ballad of 1916’ has reached both coasts of America. Choirs led by Buncrana’s own Mary McKeever will sing it as part of their Christmas programme this year in San Francisco, and in New York City this coming Saturday, one of their small stepped streets is to be named ‘Easter Rising Way’ in commemoration of the 1916 Easter Rising.New York City Council member Elizabeth S. Crowley’s chief of staff has been in touch to say they’d love to play it at the start of the naming ceremony and credit Wee Glee in their programme!It is a nice way to end 2016, and our commemoration of our history through song.To listen to their recording click here. The Wee Glee Singers gain popularity in America was last modified: November 12th, 2016 by Elaine McCalligShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:1916buncranacommemorationInishowennew yorksan franciscothe wee glee singers
To celebrate the opening of the newly refurbished Poet’s Corner at Radisson Blu Letterkenny, we’re bringing Donegal Daily readers a fantastic competition.The beautiful Poet’s Corner is a fantastic venue for family celebrations, parties, weddings and so much more. Radisson Blu Letterkenny are inviting one lucky winner of the Facebook competition to enjoy a four-course meal for twoFancy a sneak peek at Letterkenny’s newest dining experience? Here’s what you’ll find at the Poet’s Corner: That’s not all!Also, this Valentine’s season, the Radisson Blu in Letterkenny are hosting a Dinner and Jazz event with a gourmet 5 course meal prepared by the executive Head Chef in the Poet’s Corner.Guests are invited to join this event on this Saturday, February 11th and again on the 18th. There will be a drinks reception arrival as well as live jazz music. Places are €40pp, Booking essential. Call +353749194444 to secure your spot. Check out the fabulous menu for this unmissable event below. Competition terms and conditions apply.New-look Poet’s Corner launches at Radisson Blu was last modified: February 10th, 2017 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:competitionfoodpoet’s cornerradisson blue hotelrestaurant
1 Liverpool vice-captain James Milner admits his team will feel sick if they let Champions League qualification slip through their fingers at the last minute.The Reds have spent only two weeks outside the top four since September, but Sunday’s goalless draw at home to Southampton threatened to undermine that until sixth-placed Arsenal did them a favour by beating Manchester United – currently in fifth.That result at the Emirates Stadium meant Liverpool’s fate was back in their own hands – despite having played more games than the chasing teams – and two more wins will secure a return to the Champions League next season.However, with a trip to West Ham, a team they have not beaten in their last five meetings, up next followed by hosting Middlesbrough at Anfield – where the Reds have taken two points from the last three matches – nothing is guaranteed.Asked how being pipped at the post would feel, Milner, whose first penalty miss in more than seven years cost Liverpool victory against Saints, said: “Sick.“This is a team and a club that needs to be in the Champions League.“We will be in Europe, but the Champions League is where everyone wants to play.“Hopefully we will get a bit of luck and finish the job. We have made improvements this year and we know where we need to improve again.“We have shown on any one day we can beat anyone, so if we could get in the Champions League we know we could be a match for anyone.“We have got to do it consistently, but I don’t think we have been as up and down as last year.“In the games we haven’t got the points we wanted, we have dominated, but we’ve dropped points where we shouldn’t have done.“We do that job better and we are fighting for the title, never mind fighting to get into the top four.“That is disappointing and we know it is an area we need to improve.“We have got to win the last two and see where that takes us.” James Milner missed his first penalty in over seven years as Liverpool drew with Southampton
Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos believes Luka Modric deserves the FIFA ‘Best Men’s Player’ award, despite his team-mate being up against ‘players with more marketing’ for the trophy.Cristiano Ronaldo has won the prize in its two-year existence, but the defender thinks Modric – the World Cup’s player of the tournament – deserves some acclaim. 2 The Croatian captained his country to the 2018 World Cup final and Ramos suggested that awards have often been handed out to players with the best off-field image and he would like to see it presented to a player who ‘deserves’ it more.“We will see [who wins The Best],” he said when asked whether Modric should get it ahead of former team-mate Ronaldo and Liverpool’s Mohamed Salah. “There are few players that I am as proud of having in my team as him.“He is a great friend and a great player. He is one of the few players who [if he wins] would make me as happy as if they had given it to me. Modric won the 2018 World Cup Golden Ball 2 “Maybe there are players with more marketing, with a bigger name but Modric deserves that award.”The Spaniard was asked if his comments were aimed at any particular individual considering Ronaldo is the only man to win the award.“No,” he replied. “But since there is nothing that defines the prize, everything adds up [to Modric winning the award].”The presentation for the award will take place on 24 September. Ronaldo has won the FIFA award twice
Dozens of households across Donegal could still be using defective gas cookers which have already claimed the lives of two Glenties women.Annie Gallagher, 84, and Sarah McDyer, 79, died when they were poisoned by carbon monoxide which leaked from Ms Gallagher’s Flavel cooker at her home.The neighbours and friends were chatting when they were overcome by fumes on September 24th, 2009. A subsequent inquest into the women’s deaths in December last year recommended a full action plan be implemented to recall all of the cookers.The National Consumer Agency, in its annual report yesterday, warned that some 1,300 such cookers were STILL unaccounted for.The body’s annual report for 2011, published yesterday, expressed concern that 1,300 cookers were still unaccounted for, despite four safety alerts since 2009.Certain models of Beko, Flavel, Leisure, and New World gas cookers were affected and consumers could avail of a free refit. But according to the NCA annual report: “By the end of 2011, up to 1,300 of the cookers are still unaccounted for and can pose a danger if their grill is used with the door closed, resulting in high levels of carbon monoxide building up due to the “incomplete combustion” of the gas.“While some of these unaccounted-for cookers have been scrapped, it is likely that there are a considerable number continuing to be used.” MORE THAN 1,300 KILLER COOKERS COULD STILL BE IS USE AFTER DONEGAL WOMEN’S DEATH was last modified: July 5th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Annie GallaghercookerSarah McDyer
Steve Geissinger, (916) 447-9302 firstname.lastname@example.org 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! SACRAMENTO – About 42 percent of California’s 15.8 million registered voters are expected to turn out for Tuesday’s special election, a relatively high turnout that political experts said could hurt the chances for the governor’s reform measures. Secretary of State Bruce McPherson on Friday said his prediction was based on absentee ballots, experience with similar elections, voter registration, record campaign spending, interest in local measures and “even the anticipated weather.” Experts said the relatively high turnout in Democrat-leaning California makes it more likely at the polls that Democrats and independents will outnumber Republicans, who are traditionally dependable voters but are in the minority. Coupled with recent polls showing Californians’ support for the ballot measures is flagging, officials said the outlook is dim. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week “At this point, it now looks like all four of the governor’s measures will be defeated,” said Tim Hodson, director of the nonpartisan Center for California Studies in Sacramento and a political science professor at California State University, Sacramento. Both Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and opponents’ campaigns embraced the turnout forecast as a positive development and said their sides were the ones winning the efforts to turn out core voters. While the projected voter turnout is higher than the last state special election – 36 percent in 1993 – it is far short of the 76 percent in last year’s presidential election or the 61 percent who showed up for the 2003 recall which put Schwarzenegger in office. “At 30 percent to 33 percent turnout, the governor could have expected something to be close,” said California State University, Sonoma political science professor David McCuan. Experts said wild cards remain, including whether Proposition 73 – requiring parental notification of a minor’s abortion – draws more conservatives to the polls.