About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Lampard not afraid to play Chelsea youngsters against Valenciaby Freddie Taylora month agoSend to a friendShare the loveFrank Lampard has no qualms about playing his Chelsea youngsters for Tuesday’s Champions League clash with Valencia.Fikayo Tomori, Mason Mount and Tammy Abraham all started and scored in Saturday’s win over Wolves.And Lampard says he won’t change his selections for the club’s first Champions League clash of the season.”I won’t consider age,” Lampard said. “I don’t consider it because they’ve shown confidence, personality in the group. That’s easy. I just pick them on merit.”Confidence and momentum is great. It’s not quite momentum yet but it is a good feeling to see the team play how they did. We need more clean sheets and we continually need to work on that.”The Champions League is the top club competition in world football and I’m sure Mason, Tammy, Tomori are all excited for it. All the players should be. I’m looking forward to it, my debut as a manager.”
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Man City boss Pep Guardiola: I have no money!by Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester City boss Pep Guardiola says he has no money to spend in January.It’s been suggested Guardiola is seeking a new centre-half signing for the winter market.But the manager insists: “It’s not up to me, but we can’t buy anyone in January.”We do not have the money to deposit large amounts. That didn’t work in the summer, so not in the winter either.“We will do it with the players that we have. With Taylor Harwood-Bellis, Eric Garcia and the new players in the youth academy. We have young talented players that we can count on.” He added: “Vinny (Kompany) had a great personality and he was very helpful to me and the entire club. But he has decided to go to Anderlecht and we must continue.”
Grant Hill DukeKentucky is the college basketball program that gets most of the love these days for producing NBA talent, but Duke has been pretty great at it, too. Since Mike Krzyzewski took over the Blue Devils’ program in 1980, he’s had 51 players get selected in the NBA Draft. Thursday night, he’ll add to that number, as Jahlil Okafor, Justise Winslow and Tyus Jones are all projected to get picked in the first round, with Quinn Cook a potential second-round pick. In anticipation of the draft, Duke has released a cool video celebrating all of Coach K’s NBA players.
Giuliana and Bill Rancic are gearing up for baby – and planning to bank the baby’s cord blood. This week, the couple is receiving the CBR (Cord Blood Registry) kit!Bill and Giuliana with a CBR KitCredit/Copyright: Elizabeth Messina via www.PitchPublicRelations.comGiuliana and Bill are arranging to have their newborn son’s umbilical cord blood stored shortly after birth. The blood in the umbilical cord is rich in healthy stem cells that can be used in transplants to treat a variety of illnesses, including leukemia and sickle-cell disease, or for certain injuries.The Rancics, who are the new spokespersons for Cord Blood Registry, believe that banking their son’s cord blood is a smart move.Stem cells are the body’s building blocks for organ tissue, blood, and the immune system. Doctors started using cord blood stem cells more than 20 years ago to treat diseases that previously had been treated with bone marrow. Today, the primary type of stem cells in umbilical cord blood – called hematopoietic – help treat many serious illnesses and disorders.
WASHINGTON – New NAFTA rules could increase the cost of a car by hundreds or even thousands of dollars, act as a multibillion-dollar tax and ultimately hurt sales as consumers keep their wallets shut, a new study predicts.The study by the Center for Automotive Research attempts to assess the impact of proposals under consideration as the three North American countries huddle in a marathon negotiating session in Washington.Negotiators are refining a plan that would require that every car include more North American parts; use primarily North American steel; and favour production in high-wage jurisdictions, meaning the U.S. and Canada.The study calculates that at least 46 vehicle types currently produced on the continent would fail to meet these new standards, a dramatic increase in the number of products that fail to comply with existing NAFTA rules.The companies making these vehicles always have a choice: comply with the NAFTA rules, or pay the tariff, which is 2.5 per cent for a light vehicle in the United States, 6.1 per cent in Canada.The study offers a broad estimate, with a range of outcomes. It finds that 25 per cent to 87 per cent of vehicles currently sold in the U.S. would fail to meet the standard and would wind up paying a tariff.”Tariffs (would) add at minimum a US$2.1-billion to US$3.8-billion tax on U.S. consumers,” said the study, released Thursday.”The tariffs would add between US$470 and US$2,200 to the cost of these particular vehicles … (and) the result would be an estimated loss of 60,000 to 150,000 annual U.S. light vehicle sales.”The group behind the research is funded by the auto industry, governments, unions and other organizations. The study was commissioned by Trade Leadership Coalition, an industry-funded group.But its findings are consistent with the view of Jeff Rubin, a senior fellow at Canada’s Centre for International Governance Innovation and a former chief economist at CIBC World Markets.He says that under the current NAFTA many groups win: consumers with cheaper cars, car companies with higher profits and Mexican auto workers with higher salaries than Mexicans in other sectors.The losers under the current NAFTA, he says, are auto workers in the U.S. and Canada, where employment has dropped and, Rubin says, the auto sector faces a long-term terminal decline.He’s unsure the new NAFTA rules will change that.He said it’s a no-brainer for companies trying to decide whether to adjust practices to comply with the new rules. He figures compliance with NAFTA might add five per cent to the cost of a vehicle, versus the tariff of 2.5 per cent for light vehicles sold in the U.S.”If I was a shareholder at (auto-parts-maker) Magna, or GM, I know what I would be telling management to do — which is, instead of tripling wage costs (in Mexico), pay the tariff,” Rubin said.”Ultimately GM and Magna are going to do what’s in the best interest of their shareholders. And right now the best interest would be keep the production in Mexico, pay the low wage rate and pay the 2.5 per cent tariff.”As long as the tariff remains low, Rubin added that the new NAFTA will be “a paper tiger.”However, it would be “a totally different ball game,” if the countries raise their tariff, he says, arguing that it would make paying the higher cost of compliance the better alternative and steer production back to the U.S. and Canada.”It would be a total game-changer.”But under the current proposal, with no change to the tariff level, Rubin sees the new NAFTA as producing a 2.5 per cent added tax on cars and no improvement in the lives of Canadian and American workers — a scenario that “isn’t going to bring a single job back to the U.S.”
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The City’s Legislative Services Director Janet Prestley says the City wants more Fort St. John residents to get out and vote during this fall’s municipal election.Speaking at the Fort St. John & District Chamber of Commerce luncheon today, Prestley spoke about some of the outreach the City will be doing to help bolster some of the lowest municipal election voter turnout stats in Northern B.C. According to the City, Fort St. John municipal election voter turnout has consistently lagged at least 19 percent behind the provincial average.During the 2008 municipal election, Fort St. John recorded a voter turnout of 23 percent while the average across B.C. was 43 percent. In 2014, the provincial average voter turnout was 41 percent, while Fort St. John’s voter turnout dropped to 15 percent. Some of the factors that have been blamed on the drop in turnout during election include the acclamation of the Mayor and a lack of controversial issues. Prestley said that many residents often forget that they interact with their local municipal government much more often than with their provincial or federal counterparts. She added that many residents also might not know that voting can often take less time than ordering a cup of coffee at a fast food restaurant.According to Prestley, residents will have three ways to vote during the upcoming municipal election: in person, at the curbside, and by mail. She said that the polls will be open from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. at the Fort St. John Legion on the day of the election, which is scheduled for Saturday, October 20th. Residents can also vote from the curbside in the comfort of their vehicles outside the polling station, or can request a mail-in ballot from the City ahead of the election.For more information about the upcoming municipal election, contact Janet Prestley at City Hall at (250) 787-8150.
Juventus director Beppe Marotta believes that they have “put together a very competitive team because we want to go all the way in all our objectives.”Juventus is playing their first home game of the season today against Lazio, and Ronaldo was handed his home debut too.Juventus director Marotta is confident that with the signings they have made, that Juventus can win all the trophies they compete for this season.Vidic: “Ronaldo is the most professional footballer I’ve seen” Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Nemanja Vidic opened up on how a 21-year-old Cristiano Ronaldo’s professionalism left him stunned at Manchester United.“In this squad there is no classic divide between first choice and substitutes, they are all co-starters here. We put together a very competitive team because we want to go all the way in all our objectives,” Marotta told Sky Sport Italia, via Football Italia.“The club supports the work of the Coach on a daily level. The players understand they can’t always start and are all very professional, so the frequent squad rotation allows them all to be in good shape and mentally engaged.“It takes real intelligence to get the players to accept and embrace that situation, certainly more so than in recent years.”
Argentine legend Jorge Valdano, analyzed Real Madrid’s defeat at Sevilla in detail this Thursday and how The Best awards affected the squad.There are many authorized voices that usually talk about Real Madrid and Barcelona with objectivity, but very few of them tend to be as poignant as Argentine legend Jorge Valdano who has a long history with Los Blancos.The former striker started his career as a manager after football but he soon realized that his place was more helpful for the beautiful sport as an analyst and a scholar, today Valdano has written many books about football and he also has a unique point of view about the biggest names in world football.Just last week, we could see him conducting an interview to Pep Guardiola on his ‘Universo Valdano’ show that airs on Spanish cable. This Thursday he was invited by renowned Spanish journalist Jose Ramon de la Morena, to his radio show ‘El Transistor’, where he discussed many interesting topics but the most interesting one was the Spanish giants’ La Liga defeats this past Wednesday.Both Barcelona and Real Madrid lost their matches against Leganes and Sevilla, respectively. As a football analyst, these types of matches usually peak Jorge Valdano’s interest because we don’t get to see grand clubs like these losing on the same day.Valdano’s analysis was more about Real Madrid because losing 3-0 was more shocking than Barcelona’s defeat, the Catalan club’s result happened due to isolated mistakes, whereas Los Blancos were demolished by Sevilla.Valdano en @ElTransistorOC: “El Sevilla encontró pasillos por todos los lados” https://t.co/OnScnFUTwO pic.twitter.com/jJzG4U6GKw— MARCA (@marca) September 27, 2018During the space in which he spoke about Real Madrid’s odd result from last Wednesday, Valdano spoke in detail about the reasons he thinks this happened and he also hinted at the possibility of The Best award ceremony affecting their performance during the same week.“We could see a vastly more tired Real Madrid during the second half of this match, Lopetegui told the players to stay in the back in order to protect the result.”“The Best awards are a distraction from modern football and they are never great for when the team needs resting time, and it possibly doesn’t help in the game’s preparation either.”“There has to be an explanation about the cold manner in which Real Madrid went out and played that game.”“There was once chance from Sevilla before the 15-second mark and then the Andalusian squad offered an exhibition that found the best holes on the wings, Real Madrid couldn’t defend from the sides. The Sevilla players appeared to be more focused, they also looked quicker.”Zidane hails ‘quality’ James Rodriguez after Real Madrid’s win Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Zinedine Zidane reserved special praise for James Rodriguez after his starring role in Real Madrid’s 3-2 win over Levante.“When Real Madrid received the first blow, it was impossible for them to get back in the game. They suffered too much after that.”“They did improve during the second half, but it simply wasn’t enough. Today both Real Madrid and Barcelona can feel bad for their own result, but they can also feel salvaged by their rival’s loss,” said Valdano during the interview on ‘El Transistor’ for Radio Marca and Onda Cero.Last night, both Barcelona and Real Madrid lost on the same day for the first time since January 2015. pic.twitter.com/xr53bRyqbB— Football Factly (@FootballFactly) September 27, 2018Both Spanish giants lose on the same day, three years laterThe last time that Real Madrid and Barcelona lost on the very same day was three years ago, exactly 1,361 days later during the 2014-2015 season. During that time, Carlo Ancelotti was the Real Madrid manager and he was coming out of the historic ‘Decima’ (Real Madrid’s 10th European Cup).Los Blancos really struggled to find their center during that season and they had an overall forgettable performance, they lost 2-1 in Mestalla on the 4th of January, 2017. But FC Barcelona’s situation was a lot different after that Sunday, they lost 1-0 in Anoeta against Real Sociedad in a weird day for manager Luis Enrique who oddly left Lionel Messi on the bench from the start of the match.That defeat served the Catalan club as a moment of clarity, that was good enough for them to win their second treble in history by the end of the season. Messi’s absence at the start of that game would be a warning for Luis Enrique, who never imagined what a historic season the Argentine player would have in every competition he played.Three years later the same thing happened to both clubs, it should be interesting to see how they perform throughout the current season and if one of both clubs will have a historic year. Valdano was right to point out that both clubs losing left everything the same, but Real Madrid has a much more difficult weekend as they face Atletico Madrid at the Bernabeu.Barcelona and Real Madrid in La Liga this season 😂😂 pic.twitter.com/MCDJiQqIMo— SPORTbible (@sportbible) September 27, 2018Which of both clubs will finish the season with more trophies, Real Madrid or Barcelona? Please share your opinion in the comment section down below.
Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享The Department of Transportation issued a reminder that plowing snow from private property into local roads, ditches, and right of ways is illegal. DOT reminds residents that as the snowfall continues this winter remember it is a violation of state law to plow excess snow from your driveway and yard across state maintained roadways. According to the Kenai Peninsula Borough, this creates an obstruction hazard and sight problems for the traveling public and snow removal equipment. Along with the reminder about plowing, the Borough asks parents to keep children out of snow piles and berms along roadways. They say plowing snow into the right of way creates significant additional costs and delays to road crews who have to move the snow back – a cost which is eventually transferred to the taxpayer.
Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享The National Weather Service in Anchorage has issued a Dense Smoke Advisory, which is in effect until 2pm Tuesday, but could be extended depending on fire behavior. Sean Baines with the National Weather Service: “Smoke will likely be dense along the highway along Cooper Landing to Sterling along the highway. Not only should be people driving be careful, but those with respiratory problems may have difficulty breathing when outside and are advised to use caution.” Interior Kenai Peninsula, including the Sterling Highway corridor from Sterling to Cooper Landing. Smoke from the Swan Lake fire will reduce visibilities to one quarter mile or less at times. A dense smoke advisory means fires will create widespread smoke, limiting visibilities. If driving, slow down, use your headlights, and leave plenty of distance ahead of you in case a sudden stop is needed. Air quality monitors have been set up near the fire area. Data from monitors in Cooper Landing can be viewed at https://tinyurl.com/y3rsbkr5. The monitor in Sterling can be found at https://tinyurl.com/y5ens5fv.