Governor Wolf Welcomes SeaLand Atlantico Service To Port Of Philadelphia

first_img February 17, 2016 Governor Wolf Welcomes SeaLand Atlantico Service To Port Of Philadelphia Economy,  Jobs That Pay,  Port Development Philadelphia, PA – Governor Tom Wolf today welcomed a new shipping service to the Packer Avenue Terminal in South Philadelphia that will link directly with port operations on the Gulf of Mexico. SeaLand, the intra-Americas regional ocean carrier of the Maersk Group, launched its “Atlantico” service between Veracruz, Altamira and Philadelphia earlier this month.“The arrival of SeaLand Atlantico is great news for exporters in the Greater Philadelphia metro area, and it is also great news for the commonwealth’s economy,” Governor Wolf said. “Mexico is the second largest export market for Pennsylvania and New Jersey, and this means manufacturers from the Greater Philadelphia metro area now have a more efficient, economical way to get to the growing markets of Mexico. It’s exactly the kind of growth my administration likes to see as we continue to invest in and improve the Port of Philadelphia.”The Atlantico service offers an alternative transportation option for trade between the Gulf of Mexico and Eastern United States, which generally employs ground transportation on 95% of its volumes. This line will particularly benefit producers and exporters of perishable goods to the U.S. by providing economies of scale, security and reliability of an ocean service. Targeted commodities include goods such as avocados, lemons, tomatoes and commercial cargo.“We’re very excited about this new weekly service with Mexico,” said Philadelphia Regional Port Authority (PRPA) Chairman Jerry Sweeney.  “It’s another example of the kinds of things that happen at the Port when you have great public-private partnerships in place. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is proud to invest in its marine terminals and provide support in helping secure new business to the Port.”Last fall, Governor Wolf announced his strategic plan to ensure long-term stability and growth at the Port of Philadelphia:Governor Wolf has named seven new board members to the Philadelphia Port Authority, including Chairman Sweeney. He has launched a national search for a new executive director with a proven track record of successful port development.Governor Wolf is creating an advisory committee of stakeholders to provide input on the future of the port. It will include stakeholders from industry, labor, local and state government to drive a unified vision for the port.Governor Wolf is leading the strategic development of the port. He has directed PennDOT to conduct a study to determine the best use/economic feasibility of the port.Governor Wolf has established a timeline for the development of the Southport Marine Terminal.The Philadelphia Regional Port Authority (PRPA) is an independent agency of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania charged with the management, maintenance, marketing, and promotion of publicly-owned port facilities along the Delaware River in Philadelphia, as well as strategic planning throughout the port district. PRPA works with its terminal operators to modernize, expand, and improve it facilities, and to market those facilities to prospective port users. Port cargoes and the activities they generate are responsible for thousands of direct and indirect jobs in the Philadelphia area and throughout Pennsylvania.# # #Like Governor Tom Wolf on Facebook: Facebook.com/GovernorWolfcenter_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitterlast_img read more

Sydney school Elanora Heights bans clapping

first_imgNZ Herald 21 July 2016Family First Comment: This isn’t PC – this is STUPIDITY! “The latest example of a political correctness outbreak in Australian schools, which have banned hugging, singing Christmas carols, celebrating Australia Day, singing the word “black” in the nursery rhyme “baa baa black sheep”, and an exclusive girls school banning teachers from calling “ladies” or “women” in favour of “gender-neutral” terms.”Clapping has been banned at a Sydney primary school which has introduced “silent cheering”, “pulling excited faces” and “punching the air” to respect students who are “sensitive to noise”.The school now only allows its pupils “to conduct a silent cheer” when prompted by teachers and says the practice “reduces fidgeting”.Elanora Heights Public School, which is on Sydney’s northern beaches, announced its new “silent cheer” policy in its latest school newsletter.The latest example of a political correctness outbreak in Australian schools, which have banned hugging, singing Christmas carols, celebrating Australia Day and singing the word “black” in the nursery rhyme “baa baa black sheep”.The ban on clapping at Elanora Heights Primary School emerged on the same day that an exclusive girls school banned teachers from calling “ladies” or “women” in favour of “gender-neutral” terms.In its July 18 newsletter, the Elanora school has published an item under the headline “Did you know” that “our school has adopted silent cheers at assembly’s” (sic).The ban follows a direction at exclusive Cheltenham Girls High School in northwest Sydney for teachers to avoid discrimination and support LGBTI students by avoiding the words “girls”, “ladies” or “women”.The measure followed the introduction of the Safe Schools anti-bullying program and teachers were told at a meeting if they did not comply they could be deemed homophobic and breaking the law.READ MORE: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=11678467last_img read more

Tyrone question McCann 8 week ban

first_imgAccording to the Sun newspaper McCann faces a charge of misconduct considered to have discredited the association- the minimum ban for which is 8 weeks.The punishment comes from the players dive and feigning of injury against Monaghan last weekend in the All Ireland quarter final.Several players and journalist have take to twitter today to question severity of the proposed punishment and if he is being charged under the correct rule.last_img

Doug Pederson says Eagles are ‘very comfortable’ with 2 backup quarterbacks

first_imgThe Eagles’ depth at quarterback took a hit in their first preseason game.However, despite an injury to Nate Sudfeld — who was the team’s backup QB — coach Doug Pederson is happy with the remaining quarterbacks, Cody Kessler and Clayton Thorson, behind starter Carson Wentz. Eagles ink Orlando Scandrick after Cre’Von LeBlanc foot injury He has played in 17 career regular-season games compared to Sudfeld, who has appeared in only three.Thorson, a young talent, will still take some time to develop. The fifth-round pick in this year’s draft went 2-for-9 passing with one interception in his first NFL action against the Titans. Nate Sudfeld injury update: Eagles No. 2 QB (broken wrist) has surgery, expected back in 6 weeks, report says However, Pederson didn’t go into detail about what would happen if Sudfeld isn’t ready for the season opener on Sept. 8, which is about five weeks after his surgery.”These are all things we look at,” Pederson added. “We still got time. There’s still three weeks of camp ’til we have to make those decisions. Obviously, those are decisions that when we get closer we’ll have to make.”Kessler, who is in his first season with the team, seems to be the logical choice for the first in line to be the primary backup behind the oft-injured Wentz. “There’s really not a lot to be said about the quarterback position,” Pederson told reporters Saturday. “We’re very comfortable with the two we have. They are going to get a lot of work now these next several weeks obviously in practice. It’s like any other position on our football team. If we see the need to add depth and value, we will, but at this time we’re confident with the guys we have and moving forward.”Doug Pederson Reiterates today the Eagles are confident in Cody Kessler and are NOT seeking another backup QB behind Carson Wentz right now @6abc#Eagles pic.twitter.com/7fF8K2DRtG— Jeff Skversky 6abc (@JeffSkversky) August 10, 2019Sudfeld suffered a broken wrist on his non-throwing left arm in Thursday’s preseason opener. He underwent surgery Friday morning and is expected to return in six weeks, ESPN.com reported, citing an unidentified source and describing the timeline as the “best-case scenario for Philly.” Related News Eagles bringing back Darren Sproles on 1-year deallast_img read more