Privacy breach, fake news take mental toll on Indonesia’s first COVID-19 cases

first_imgThe message also detailed their symptoms and chronology of events, starting from when they had supposedly contracted the virus to when they were eventually admitted to their current hospital.The Health Ministry has denied responsibility for the leak. Besides the message, photographs of the patients also spread like wildfire. Some were even forwarded with the ironic caption “Please don’t share.” Some people went as far as to question the patient’s profession, correlating it with how she might have contracted the virus. Health Minister Terawan Agus Putranto said on Monday that Case 1 was a dance teacher and had danced with the Japanese citizen, who he said was a close friend, in a club in Kemang, South Jakarta. Reporters swarmed the patients’ house, taking footage from just a few feet away from the doorstep, prompting the police to set up a police line to drive them away.Read also: Activists, lawmakers criticize disclosure of personal information of COVID-19 patientsThe situation caused Case 1 to write a lengthy WhatsApp message to explain herself, which has also gone viral.In a further statement made on Wednesday, Case 1 shared her account on how she might have contracted the virus and what she did afterward–which differed from the one shared by authorities.Case 1 said she had started coughing and having a fever on Feb. 16 and decided to visit a private hospital along with her mother last Thursday. There, she was diagnosed with bronchopneumonia and her mother with typhus. The following day, her friend in Malaysia called her to let her know that a Japanese woman that had tested positive for the new virus on Feb. 26 had visited a restaurant in Jakarta where she had been hosting on Feb. 15.Case 1 also said that she had attended a dance event at a restaurant in Menteng, Central Jakarta, on Feb. 15, not at a club in Kemang on Feb. 14.”For the sake of national security and health, I informed the doctor that I needed to be tested [for the virus], and that’s why I’ve been isolated since Sunday. I don’t even know nor am I acquainted with the Japanese citizen,” she said. “And I want to emphasize, the Japanese citizen is a woman, not a man that ‘rented’ me like the gossip says,” she added. “I was just in a room with the Japanese woman without knowing who she was.” Case 1 said she had given health authorities contacts of her family members and closest friends to be tested and to ensure that the virus would not spread further.“Please respect me and my family’s privacy, stop spreading our photos and fake news about us,” she said. Read also: COVID-19: Jokowi urges people to remain calm and respect patient privacyThe breach of the patients’ personal data also affected their neighbors, who were also questioning how such detailed data of the patients could be disclosed to the public.”Even us as their close neighbors don’t know those details about them. I wondered whether the authorities were responsible,” one of the patients’ neighbors, Anis Hidayah of Migrant Care, told the Post.She said people in the neighborhood regretted that media coverage had also disrupted their activities; some were not allowed to work by their employers, while app-based motorcycle taxi  drivers were adamant about not accepting orders from the housing complex but even more so because it had framed people she knew personally in unfavorable ways.”I hope this accelerates the issuance of a regulation on personal data protection,” Anis said. (ars)Editor’s note: This story has been updated to clarify Case 1’s statement about how she came into contact with the Japanese patient.Topics : The President’s announcement came as a surprise not only to the public but to the patients themselves, Case 2 told kompas.com on Tuesday.“We had not been [told that we had tested positive],” she said. “We only found out when [Jokowi announced it].”Worse than the surprise announcement was what followed. Soon after the news broke, personal details of the two patients popped up on WhatsApp groups and social media, with unclear origins. The details came in a viral message that started with the words “Spot Reports” and contained not only the patients’ initials and ages but also their complete home address.  Indonesia’s first two confirmed COVID-19 patients say media coverage and discourse on social media have taken a greater toll than the disease itself, saying that the numerous breaches of privacy have left them “mentally drained.”President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo announced on Monday that a 31-year-old woman (Case 1) and her 64-year-old mother (Case 2), both residents of Depok, West Java had tested positive for the novel coronavirus after coming into contact with a Japanese woman who later tested positive in Malaysia.Case 1 and Case 2 are currently receiving treatment in an isolation ward at Sulianti Saroso Infectious Diseases Hospital.last_img read more

Governor Wolf Welcomes SeaLand Atlantico Service To Port Of Philadelphia

first_img February 17, 2016 Governor Wolf Welcomes SeaLand Atlantico Service To Port Of Philadelphia Economy,  Jobs That Pay,  Port Development Philadelphia, PA – Governor Tom Wolf today welcomed a new shipping service to the Packer Avenue Terminal in South Philadelphia that will link directly with port operations on the Gulf of Mexico. SeaLand, the intra-Americas regional ocean carrier of the Maersk Group, launched its “Atlantico” service between Veracruz, Altamira and Philadelphia earlier this month.“The arrival of SeaLand Atlantico is great news for exporters in the Greater Philadelphia metro area, and it is also great news for the commonwealth’s economy,” Governor Wolf said. “Mexico is the second largest export market for Pennsylvania and New Jersey, and this means manufacturers from the Greater Philadelphia metro area now have a more efficient, economical way to get to the growing markets of Mexico. It’s exactly the kind of growth my administration likes to see as we continue to invest in and improve the Port of Philadelphia.”The Atlantico service offers an alternative transportation option for trade between the Gulf of Mexico and Eastern United States, which generally employs ground transportation on 95% of its volumes. This line will particularly benefit producers and exporters of perishable goods to the U.S. by providing economies of scale, security and reliability of an ocean service. Targeted commodities include goods such as avocados, lemons, tomatoes and commercial cargo.“We’re very excited about this new weekly service with Mexico,” said Philadelphia Regional Port Authority (PRPA) Chairman Jerry Sweeney.  “It’s another example of the kinds of things that happen at the Port when you have great public-private partnerships in place. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is proud to invest in its marine terminals and provide support in helping secure new business to the Port.”Last fall, Governor Wolf announced his strategic plan to ensure long-term stability and growth at the Port of Philadelphia:Governor Wolf has named seven new board members to the Philadelphia Port Authority, including Chairman Sweeney. He has launched a national search for a new executive director with a proven track record of successful port development.Governor Wolf is creating an advisory committee of stakeholders to provide input on the future of the port. It will include stakeholders from industry, labor, local and state government to drive a unified vision for the port.Governor Wolf is leading the strategic development of the port. He has directed PennDOT to conduct a study to determine the best use/economic feasibility of the port.Governor Wolf has established a timeline for the development of the Southport Marine Terminal.The Philadelphia Regional Port Authority (PRPA) is an independent agency of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania charged with the management, maintenance, marketing, and promotion of publicly-owned port facilities along the Delaware River in Philadelphia, as well as strategic planning throughout the port district. PRPA works with its terminal operators to modernize, expand, and improve it facilities, and to market those facilities to prospective port users. Port cargoes and the activities they generate are responsible for thousands of direct and indirect jobs in the Philadelphia area and throughout Pennsylvania.# # #Like Governor Tom Wolf on Facebook: Facebook.com/GovernorWolfcenter_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitterlast_img read more

Govt fails to expand school feeding plan despite $300M budget

first_imgEducation Minister Nicolette Henry was on Wednesday brought under the microscope by the Opposition People’s Progressive Party/Civic (PPP/C) when it was found that although some $300 million was requested in the 2018 Budget for students up to Grade Two to benefit from the school feeding programme, it was not expanded.When former Education Minister Priya Manickchand took Henry to task as an increase in ‘Dietary’ provisions were made in the 2019 Budget, the Minister explained that the added amount will be allocated to now expand the breakfast and hot meal programmes.This did not go down well with the unsatisfied former Education Minister, who argued that $2 billion from the 2018 Budget was returned to the Treasury from this Ministry although it could have been used for other important uses.Manickchand asserted, “I did complain in the budget presentation that $2 billion had gone back and I see that the money in 2018 was not utilised. In fact, more than $200 million was not utilised to feed our nursery babies and I’m wondering which schools did not get fed or if it was determined to be enough to feed everybody.”Manickchand went further to question why the Ministry would need an increase for this purpose in the 2019 Budget when it did not use its allocations in Budget 2018, but rather returned it.In her Ministry’s defence, Henry said all the children in the schools which were on the programme were fed. With regard to the expansion, the Minister admitted, “The expansion however had to be curtailed because that programme had to be audited and we had to wait until we got guidance from the auditors, based on what was happening, then to move forward.”She referred to the school feeding programme as being delayed.Meanwhile the Opposition MP questioned Minister Henry whether or not sugar workers’ children were considered when the programme was being executed to which Henry responded in the affirmative.Manickchand highlighted that thousands of these sugar workers lost their jobs, reminding the House that many of them have since said that they cannot afford adequate meals or even send their children to school regularly.Manickchand reiterated that money could have been spent too on uniform grants.last_img read more