Fresh virus cluster spreads to five Chinese regions

first_imgTopics : Of those, 57 were in the northwest region of Xinjiang, where an outbreak has seen millions of residents tested and strict lockdowns in the regional capital Urumqi.Six more cases were also reported in the industrial port city of Dalian, Liaoning province, where a new outbreak first emerged at a seafood processing plant last week. This brings the total number of new infections in Dalian to 44.Health authorities said the Dalian cluster had now spread to nine cities in five regions across the country, including as far away as the southeast coastal province of Fujian.Fujian said the provincial capital Fuzhou would enter “wartime mode” after it discovered an asymptomatic patient who had travelled from Dalian, 1,500 kilometers away. A fresh coronavirus cluster in a port city in northeast China has spread to other provinces and prompted fresh restrictions, authorities said Monday, as Beijing scrambles to prevent a second wave of infections.China had largely brought the virus under control since it first emerged in the country late last year, through a series of strict lockdowns and travel restrictions.But in recent months a number of small outbreaks have given cause for concern, with China reporting 68 new infections on Tuesday — the highest daily number since April.center_img The new measures mean increased scrutiny of travellers who enter the city from nationwide virus hotspots.A fresh Beijing case reported Tuesday was also linked to an asymptomatic patient who had travelled from Dalian — the first new local case since a cluster in the capital was brought under control in early July.Twelve new asymptomatic cases were also recorded in Dalian on Tuesday. China counts asymptomatic cases separately.The Chinese Super League is currently being played in the city, under strict conditions.Local health officials in Dalian said Sunday that they would mass-test all six million residents within four days, and announced on Monday that samples had already been taken from 1.68 million people.Dalian authorities have also banned group celebratory dining activities and ordered customers to display a local “health code” when entering restaurants.Across the country, 391 people are still hospitalized with COVID-19. There have been 83,959 infections in mainland China in total.last_img read more

Governor Wolf: 1,000 Students to Get On-the Job Experience at Local Employers

first_imgSouthwest Corner Workforce Development Board$94,358 Luzerne/Schuylkill Workforce Investment Board$317,963 Philadelphia Works, Inc.$730,065 Governor Wolf: 1,000 Students to Get On-the Job Experience at Local Employers Montgomery County WDB$106,088 Bucks County Workforce Development Board$217,663 West Central Workforce Development Board$141,632 Central Pennsylvania Workforce Development Board$390,344 “These funds will allow us to expand opportunities for youth employment with public sector, for-profit and non-profit employers, and establish exciting career paths for young adults,” said L&I Secretary Jerry Oleksiak. “Governor Wolf wants to build the strongest workforce in the nation and has proposed additional funding for his PAsmart initiative to further improve access to education, apprenticeships and training programs for students and workers.”The SLIP funding to encourage internship opportunities is in addition to Governor Wolf’s recent budget request for additional funding for the PAsmart initiative. PAsmart grants will encourage partnerships with private industry throughout Pennsylvania with on-the-job training, and also support science and technology education in fast growing careers.The 2019 SLIP is 100 percent funded through federal money made available from WIOA.For more information about pursuing an education and career in Pennsylvania at any stage of life, visit PAsmart. Tri-County Workforce Development Board$53,112 Lancaster County WDB$109,718 February 22, 2019 Partner4Work$146,138 Education,  Press Release,  Workforce Development Harrisburg, PA – Governor Tom Wolf continued his commitment to provide students and young adults with the work experience opportunities to succeed in college or start their careers. Today the governor announced $4.4 million for local summer internship programs.“These funds will provide at least 1,000 young Pennsylvanians with paid work experiences to help them develop the job skills they need to succeed in our 21st century economy,” said Governor Wolf. “The State/Local Internship Program (SLIP) provides for summer internships with local employers across the commonwealth to give program participants the real-world work experience they need to pursue future employment opportunities.”The Pennsylvania Department of Labor & Industry (L&I) provided SLIP funding to all 22 Local Workforce Development Boards (LWDBs) that submitted proposals. The program, funded through the federal Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA), helps young adults develop workforce preparation skills helps and provides participants with their first work experience.The 2019 SLIP will operate for an eight-week period between May 6 and August 30, 2019. The program will offer wages at a minimum of $10.35 an hour for young adults between the ages of 16 and 24 years.Following is a list of the 22 LWDBs that received SLIP funds: Chester County Workforce Development Board$28,893center_img Pocono Counties Workforce Development Board$220,137 Northwest WDB$83,122 LWDBFunding Lehigh Valley Workforce Development Board$415,306 Northern Tier Workforce Development Board$94,778 Berks County Workforce Development Board$59,602 Delaware County WDB$130,636 North Central Workforce Development Board$430,971 Lackawanna County Workforce Development Board$106,221 Southern Alleghenies Workforce Development Board$221,841 SCPa Works$177,039 Westmoreland/Fayette Workforce Development Board$124,372 SHARE Email Facebook Twitterlast_img read more

Dutch club sack Ghanaian striker after social media posts

first_imgThe frontman has seen his loan stint at Go Ahead Eagles take a premature end due to an unprofessional behaviour.Relegated Dutch top tier side Go Ahead Eagles have terminated the contract of Ghanaian attacker Elvis Manu for his “unprofessional conduct” prior to the club’s league game on Sunday.The decision follows the 23-year-old’s open support for former club Feyenoord on social media on the day of Eagles’ all-important clash with Ajax – a match whose outcome sealed their relegation to the second division.Manu lasted 86 minutes of the 4-0 defeat, and it appears the result – and effectively its consequence – has left the Ghanaian in trouble.“Go Ahead Eagles say goodbye to Elvis Manu as from today,” the Eredivisie outfit announced on Monday.“He stood accused of unprofessional conduct around the time of our match against Ajax. “His two posts on social media that day led us to believe he was not fully focused on our crucial game.“Club management saw the posts after the game, and Manu was told this morning [Monday] that his services are no longer required.“We will now set our sights fully on Sunday’s match against Sparta Rotterdam, when we hope to end the season in worthy fashion.”Contracted to newly-promoted English Premier League side Brighton and Hove Albion, Manu joined Go Ahead Eagles on a half-season loan in January.A lack of first team opportunities had prompted the brief move away, having made 10 league appearances without a start since joining Chris Hughton’s side in 2015. At Eagles, however, the striker made 14 outings, all starts, in the Eredivisie. He scored two goals.In 2015, Manu, who played for the Netherlands at youth level, wrote to Fifa for a nationality switch to represent Ghana at senior stage.last_img read more

Lakers’ Brandon Ingram likely to play vs. Thunder on Sunday

first_imgYet, Ingram felt good to complete all of Saturday’s practice without feeling any additional soreness. He also provided a positive report on his ability to run up and down the court and make hard cuts.“If the trainers and doctors tell you he’s fine, you’ll play him,” Walton said. “When he’s out there and limping around, it goes back on me to take him out of the game. If he’s cleared, there’s no reason to hold him out.”The Lakers no longer plan to hold out backup guard Jose Calderon, who is expected to return for today’s game against the Thunder after missing the previous two contests because of a slight strain in his left calf. Despite participating in Thursday’s practice and Friday’s morning shootaround, the Lakers wanted to keep Calderon out until he completed a full-contact practice.Walton said he will stay flexible on Calderon’s workload depending on what happens in the game, though he added he won’t play 30 minutes.“I don’t expect to play a 1,000 minutes,” Calderon joked. “Whatever he needs. We’ve been practicing long and hard. I’m ready for whatever it takes. Whatever he needs, I’ll be ready to do what I need to do out there and help out the team.” Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error OKLAHOMA CITY >> The smile on Brandon Ingram’s face told the whole story. After completing a full-contact scrimmage on Saturday, the Lakers’ rookie forward sat by the scorer’s table chatting with Lakers coach Luke Walton and head athletic trainer Marco Nunez.Moments later, both Walton and Ingram said he plans to play when the Lakers (1-1) visit the Oklahoma City Thunder (2-0) today at Chesapeake Energy Arena so long as he does not experience any setbacks in his sore right knee. The Lakers later diagnosed Ingram with knee tendinitis after an MRI revealed no structural damage, therefore listing him as probable for today’s game.“As far as my understanding, I’ll come back to shoot around tomorrow and see how I feel after that,” Ingram said. “If I feel good to play, I’ll play.”Ingram did not feel good to play for most of Friday’s loss in Utah. After asking out of the game early in the first quarter, Ingram received clearance from doctors to re-enter the game early in the second. Ingram only lasted a total of four minutes before the Lakers decided to sit him out in the second half.last_img read more