Governor Wolf Welcomes SeaLand Atlantico Service To Port Of Philadelphia

first_img February 17, 2016 Governor Wolf Welcomes SeaLand Atlantico Service To Port Of Philadelphia Economy,  Jobs That Pay,  Port Development Philadelphia, PA – Governor Tom Wolf today welcomed a new shipping service to the Packer Avenue Terminal in South Philadelphia that will link directly with port operations on the Gulf of Mexico. SeaLand, the intra-Americas regional ocean carrier of the Maersk Group, launched its “Atlantico” service between Veracruz, Altamira and Philadelphia earlier this month.“The arrival of SeaLand Atlantico is great news for exporters in the Greater Philadelphia metro area, and it is also great news for the commonwealth’s economy,” Governor Wolf said. “Mexico is the second largest export market for Pennsylvania and New Jersey, and this means manufacturers from the Greater Philadelphia metro area now have a more efficient, economical way to get to the growing markets of Mexico. It’s exactly the kind of growth my administration likes to see as we continue to invest in and improve the Port of Philadelphia.”The Atlantico service offers an alternative transportation option for trade between the Gulf of Mexico and Eastern United States, which generally employs ground transportation on 95% of its volumes. This line will particularly benefit producers and exporters of perishable goods to the U.S. by providing economies of scale, security and reliability of an ocean service. Targeted commodities include goods such as avocados, lemons, tomatoes and commercial cargo.“We’re very excited about this new weekly service with Mexico,” said Philadelphia Regional Port Authority (PRPA) Chairman Jerry Sweeney.  “It’s another example of the kinds of things that happen at the Port when you have great public-private partnerships in place. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is proud to invest in its marine terminals and provide support in helping secure new business to the Port.”Last fall, Governor Wolf announced his strategic plan to ensure long-term stability and growth at the Port of Philadelphia:Governor Wolf has named seven new board members to the Philadelphia Port Authority, including Chairman Sweeney. He has launched a national search for a new executive director with a proven track record of successful port development.Governor Wolf is creating an advisory committee of stakeholders to provide input on the future of the port. It will include stakeholders from industry, labor, local and state government to drive a unified vision for the port.Governor Wolf is leading the strategic development of the port. He has directed PennDOT to conduct a study to determine the best use/economic feasibility of the port.Governor Wolf has established a timeline for the development of the Southport Marine Terminal.The Philadelphia Regional Port Authority (PRPA) is an independent agency of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania charged with the management, maintenance, marketing, and promotion of publicly-owned port facilities along the Delaware River in Philadelphia, as well as strategic planning throughout the port district. PRPA works with its terminal operators to modernize, expand, and improve it facilities, and to market those facilities to prospective port users. Port cargoes and the activities they generate are responsible for thousands of direct and indirect jobs in the Philadelphia area and throughout Pennsylvania.# # #Like Governor Tom Wolf on Facebook: Facebook.com/GovernorWolfcenter_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitterlast_img read more

Di Canio still wants new signings

first_img An early header from diminutive Emanuele Giaccherini at St Mary’s looked set to secure the Black Cats’ first win of the season. However, Jose Fonte’s last-gasp header secured Saints a deserved 1-1 draw and strengthened Di Canio’s resolve when it comes to improving his squad further. “When I asked 45 days ago for another central midfield player with a physical presence, with good quality and ability, preferably British, there was a reason,” the Italian said. “I know this league better than some managers who have managed for 20 years in England. I know, this is why I continually asked for two more players with a physical presence. “I had the same situation two years ago at Swindon, a different level. We brought 12, 13 players from abroad and straight away I said I wanted two, three British ones with a physical presence. “At the end of the season we won the league. Obviously I can’t promise we’ll win the league here but it is obvious that we will have less problems.” Di Canio did not enjoy the best preparation for the match, having been involved in a late-night altercation with drunk Southampton fans. His side looked unaffected, though, and he was proud of the way in which they dealt with Saints’ attack “I feel 50-50,” Di Canio said. “Obviously we defended for the whole game, like Fulham did against us last week. “The defence have done an amazing job because playing Lambert, Rodriguez, Lallana and then Ramirez and Osvaldo – I tell you, this is one of the best sides up front in the league. Press Association Sunderland may have signed 11 players already this summer but manager Paolo Di Canio wants more before the transfer window closes. “Their frontline gives them a chance for them to finish in the top 10, play good football, a physical presence, energy and quality. “My back four, central midfield and wingers, have done a very, very good job in defensive moments.” Sunderland’s resilience was impressive, but Southampton’s leveller was deserved. Fonte’s goal had been coming and continued their unbeaten start, although manager Mauricio Pochettino was left frustrated at what could have been. “At the moment, I am not really happy,” he said. “I am more disappointed “I am not disappointed in the way we conceded the goal early on – I take full responsibility for that. “That is not acceptable and it will serve as a wake-up call because it can never happen ever again. It is not right. “At the same time I am happy and content with our industry during the second half. “We created a host of chances and, if you look at the second half, we deserved to win the match. “We secured a draw in the last few minutes of the game and it showed us that all the work we did after conceding that early goal was important and we fully deserved to get that goal. Perhaps even more. “I am very clear that in the sense that we’ve had a very good pre-season. It shows in the effort that we put in today, that we are physically strong over 90 minutes like we were last week as well.” last_img read more

O’Neill wary of Fletcher

first_img He said: “Steven is a very good player. I signed him for Sunderland and my own view was that his goals were instrumental in keeping the side up, as well as Simon Mignolet’s performances in goal, so the two of them can take great credit for that. “But he has had a few injury problems – he was injured for Scotland at the back end of that particular season and he has fought his way back, so he is in very good form at the moment.” If O’Neill is wary of the threat posed by Gordon Strachan’s men at Celtic Park, he has little time to dwell upon it as he tries to put together a team capable of maintaining an unbeaten start to the Group D campaign despite injuries taking their toll. Ireland, of course, emerged from their trip to world champions Germany last month with a point despite being unable to call upon Seamus Coleman or James McCarthy, and while the full-back is back in business, McCarthy has been ruled out of the game as he continues to manage a hamstring problem. With Glenn Whelan also having failed to recover sufficiently from the leg fracture he suffered in Gelsenkirchen, O’Neill faces a series of tough decisions with Darron Gibson, Stephen Quinn and Jeff Hendrick all in his thoughts. Derby’s Hendrick has just eight senior caps to his name, but O’Neill is confident the 22-year-old could do a job against Scotland if he was asked to. He said: “He is a talented players and every single week he plays for Derby County, he is getting more experience. But I think these type of matches will test even (the) most experienced players. “They will still have a nervousness about them and sometimes games like this, remarkably, the irony of it all is that young players step through it and just dismiss the nervousness and fly through the game. “But it’s a big game for everyone regardless of the number of times they have played for their country.” Republic of Ireland boss Martin O’Neill has warned his players to be wary of Scotland striker Steven Fletcher as they attempt to maintain their Euro 2016 momentum. Press Associationcenter_img The in-form Sunderland frontman could stand between the Republic and their hopes of adding three more points to their qualification fund in Glasgow on Friday night having finally shaken off the run of injuries which have hampered him in recent seasons. It was O’Neill who, during his spell as Black Cats manager, paid Wolves £12million for the 27-year-old’s services in August 2012, and he remains convinced that the 11 goals he scored before joining the casualty list in his first season kept the club in the Barclays Premier League. last_img read more

Football News Mauro Icardi stripped of Inter Milan captaincy amid exit speculation

first_img For all the Latest Sports News News, Football News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. Milan: Mauro Icardi has been stripped of the Inter Milan captaincy in favour of goalkeeper Samir Handanovic amid speculation the Argentina forward is set to leave the club, the Italian outfit announced on Wednesday. “The club can confirm that Samir Handanovic is the new captain of the team,” the Serie A outfit tweeted. The switch comes as Icardi, 25, has yet to sign a new contract amid protracted negotiations between the club and his wife Wanda Nara, who also acts as his agent.The Argentine has been left out of the team’s Europa League round of 32, first-leg game at Rapid Vienna on Thursday.ALSO READ | Argentine footballer Emiliano Sala’s body to be returned to Argentina on FridayIcardi, valued at 100 million euros ($113 million), has been linked with a move away from Italy to Spanish giants Real Madrid or Chelsea in England.The forward — joint top scorer in Serie A last season with 29 goals — has scored 15 this season in all competitions, but has gone seven Serie A games without a goal.”Nobody on the team puts him in a position to play well,” complained Nara recently.”The contract is still very far away from being signed. “There are some very important clubs interested in signing him.”There are the two biggest clubs in Spain, with whom we have excellent relationships, plus an English team and a French one.” Inter are third in Serie A, 20 points behind champions Juventus, and five points ahead of city rivals AC Milan in fourth.Luciano Spalletti’s side returned to winning ways last weekend against Parma having taken just one point from their three previous Serie A games.Spalletti had after the game demanded a swift conclusion to the contract negotiations.ALSO READ | World cup winner Gordon Banks dies at 81The former Barcelona academy recruit joined Inter in 2013 from Sampdoria, scoring 122 goals in 208 appearances, with his contract running until 2021.Handanovic, 34, arrived in 2012 from Udinese.  last_img read more